1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fragrances in hold luggage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, Jun 10, 2018.

1. itchy

Mobster

Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. “Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.”

I am wrong I admit but it could be down to temperature as opposed to pressure.

Stick it in your pocket is all I can advise. ;)

The boiling point of alcohol depends on which type of alcohol you're using, as well as the atmospheric pressure. The boiling point decreases as atmospheric pressure decreases, so it will be slightly lower unless you are at sea level. Here is a look at the boiling point of different types of alcohol.

The boiling point of ethanol or grain alcohol (C2H5OH) at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psia, 1 bar absolute) is 173.1 F (78.37 C).

Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol): 66°C or 151°F

Isopropyl Alcohol (isopropanol): 80.3°C or 177°F

I know am not crazy. :p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Ken

Wise Guy

Thank you everyone :)

3. Russinating

Capodecina

This thread is gold, from opening post onwards. 5*.

4. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Are you confused "pressure" with "temperature" ?

Oooooh 7c, I best watch out carrying my shopping between the supermarket to the car park between November to April, it might explode.

5. Energize

Caporegime

I don't know, why does the Antonov An-124 have the cargo hold at a lower pressure?

6. Boycey0211

Soldato

Its itchy, usually posts drunk and is usually wide of the mark on any opinion.

7. Lopéz

Man of Honour

So you can drop the cargo doors mid flight. It's very unusual, usually for military style applications - I'm not sure itchy will have flown to Tenerife on an Antonov :p

8. PixieLandGirl

Wise Guy

Yep I do this too. I usually have some Perfume Pod's; refillable atomisers to hand.

9. Schizo

Capodecina

You would laugh if you see what aftershaves i took away with me last year :)

10. Diddums

Capodecina

Shirley having an aircraft at two different pressures just creates unnecessary drag? I would've thought that one which leads tube, all at the same pressure would be the most efficient way of flying. Just a guess though.

11. Maccy

Commissario

Don't call him Shirley.

12. Diddums

Capodecina

Sorry Susan.

13. Maccy

Commissario

Ssshh what have I told you, weekends only!

14. rotor

Wise Guy

Kouros? Drakkar Noir? Joop!?

15. Schizo

Capodecina

CK summer
    Clinique happy for men
    Hugo boss

16. Schizo

Capodecina

I have about 20 aftershaves but won't take them all this year:)

17. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Huh? The aircraft isnt at 2 differnt pressures its all one pressure (in the pressurised bits) but its not the same pressure as sea level as its cheaper and easier to pressurise it to 7-10 thousand feet equivalent.

Making a passenger jet with unpressurised hold would be a massive head ache for designers as the longitudinal floor woupd become one massive flat pressure bulkhead and need heavy reinforcement

18. Jean-F

Wise Guy

Reading posts 19 and 20, it would seem to my uneducated in the vagaries of pressurisation mind, that there may be a difference in the reaction of a brand new, still with the manufacturer’s seal in place, bottle of aftershave, and a container that has been opened, then had the cap replaced after use.
    I’m not an avid user of aftershave, I shower twice per day, shave as often as I can, and brush my teeth regularly, I’ve never noticed anyone wrinkle their nose when I join their company.
    If you buy a 100 ml bottle of e.g. Sauvage aftershave, break the seal when you arrive in say, Tampa FL from London, it should be fine and dandy, but if you only use a minimal amount in a couple of weeks, and the doomsday guys are right, then it will weaken on the return trip.
    As someone said earlier, decant some into a 10ml, or 20 ml container, and use that when you’re away, leaving your 100 ml bottle safely back on the nightstand, staying potentially aromatic for ages, one hopes.