Fraud on my epic game store account - £100 of Fortnight related purchases

Soldato
So I'm at work this morning where just before 10:00 I get 6 emails in the space of 5mins, 3 from epic and 3 three from paypal saying there had be some purchases of vbucks and an item pack which where not me!

Silly me didn't have 2FA enabled on the epic account so I spent the next hour changing passwords, enabling 2FA and writing support tickets to both Epic and paypal.

Has anyone else had Fruad like this on there epic account ? what was the time frame and resolution?

Soldato
You should put 2FA on your Paypal account too. As for resolution, Epic has a notoriously bad rep in the US, with many complaints made about them to the BBB that they just ignore customers.

Soldato
Happened to another chap I know - Epic did nothing, responded to nothing, just ignored it.

Cost him £120 via paypal and they didn't want to know as it was his fault for not having 2FA enabled

Soldato
OP
Anyone else have access to your account, wee nipper or anything like that considering it's half term.

Nope, single with no spawns of the devil that I know of

You should put 2FA on your Paypal account too. As for resolution, Epic has a notoriously bad rep in the US, with many complaints made about them to the BBB that they just ignore customers.

I have done now, thanks

What did they buy though? If they bought this then you should probably just leave it tbh.

Some pack of some sort of item pack and to loads of V bucks

Happened to another chap I know - Epic did nothing, responded to nothing, just ignored it.

Cost him £120 via paypal and they didn't want to know as it was his fault for not having 2FA enabled

When was this ? ive done abit of reading and some people have gotten refunds after a week so so.

Worst case I just have to report fraud on the card level

Associate
Same happened to me, I only got my account back because it was linked with my PSN which said fraudster missed or forgot to unlink.

Luckily they only purchased things with vbucks I already had, but when Epic did respond (which was within 24 hours) they wanted absolute proof of everything. Passport photos .. you name it.

Soldato
OP
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Paypal of all people have refunded me

We've determined the payment(s) in question were unauthorised and have refunded the full amount.

Here are the transaction details:

• Date: 18 February 2019
  • Transaction amount: £4.98 GBP

• Transaction amount: £79.99 GBP

• Transaction amount: £15.99 GBP

Soldato
OP
Yeah, if PayPal have refunded you rather than Epic then you can wave goodbye to your Epic account.
Would Epic count this as a chargeback? Better hope Epic don't kill your account. They apparently delete all your games, not just the one that had the fraud done against it.

Worst case that happens I would only lose 20usd in my wallet there, Fornight I don't care about I don't have any other games or purchases, 99% of my time spent on the account is UnrealED which is free anyways. I replied to there email number again saying PP had refunded me gave them the case ID etc.

At worse it be a small inconvenience.

What I suspect will happen is given paypal refunded so quickly it must have been very open and shut/very obvious it was fraud, Epic will see the same and fact paypal have refunded me already which I informed them off they just close the case.

Back
Top Bottom