Fray Bentos Pies

Soldato
Had one of these, first time in a long time.

What the hell have they done to them? I remember them tasting so much better, sure they were probably packed with salt and MSG, but isnt that the point?

I dont eat things like this often, when I do I dont mind suffering from dehydration and whatever other ill affects if it tastes good.

Like Pot Noodles also, had one of those recently, bland as anything.

Is there some kind of legislation that forces these products to just be awful?

I dont understand if they are not forced why do it, a Fray Bentos pie isnt a healthy thing to eat anyway, why try and make it a little better for you?

Soldato
I had a Bombay Bad Boy pot noodle whilst camping earlier this week. Was just as I remember them always being tbh. Tasty enough.

The pies do seem a bit more crap though. Was barely any meat in the one I tried a couple of years ago.

Soldato
I also have recollections of Fray Bentos being decent in my youth (steak and ale rings a bell) but when I last tried one (after a long gap) it definitely made the "Not buying this slop again" category.

Caporegime
Always burnt on the top and pastry still complete beige stodge underneath. Also you get a tiny dribble of Soy Sauce in a Chicken & Mushroom pot noodle these days. Not to mention a standard size sachet in a king size pot noodle.

Soldato
I had a Frey Bentos pie recently after about 20 years of not even thinking about them and it tasted just as I remembered, but someone appeared to have stolen/forgotten to add half the filling.

Soldato
The only pie i like now are the Pukka pies when on offer for £1 each. Frey Bentos might have been good once but i dont remember when, back in the 90`s maybe

Soldato
I always preferred super noodles to pot noodles tbh. But these days you can get really good Asian style instant noodles in pretty much every supermarket
If you like your spice, give the samyang buldak a go. I get mine from Amazon. Currently working my way through curry flavour and kimchi flavour

Caporegime
The only pie i like now are the Pukka pies when on offer for £1 each. Frey Bentos might have been good once but i dont remember when, back in the 90`s maybe
They are surprisingly good, although I have noticed a trend of less filling that usual. Normally they're right up to the top of the shortcrust, now they're a little bit below. Perhaps just a bad batch. Their chick and Mushroom is very good, large mushroom slices and decent bits of chicken in a nice sauce.

Soldato
Pies for me - need to be of quality. Higgidy, Pieminister, M&S Gastropub or supermarket's own posh label. Though due to their expensive prices, I get them if they have a reduced label on them. Or free as earlier this year, on the fresh delivery, we had another supermarket's posh pies. Or even better, a restaurant's own homemade pies. Has to have a crust on the sides. None of this puff pastry lid lark.

One disappointment which I tried about three years ago was Findus Crispy Pancakes which I loved as a kid. Bought a pack and cooked one up. Urgh it was disgusting and threw the box and cooked one in the bin. Im not one for throwing food.

Soldato
We got into a bit of a Fish and Chips on Saturday night routine during Covid, but I found myself favouring the steak and kidney pie over the cod.

When I tried a £1 pukka pie from Tesco, I was delighted that it was, seemingly, identical to the chip shop ones!

Soldato
w
We got into a bit of a Fish and Chips on Saturday night routine during Covid, but I found myself favouring the steak and kidney pie over the cod.

When I tried a £1 pukka pie from Tesco, I was delighted that it was, seemingly, identical to the chip shop ones!

yes they do seem to be the same, perhaps some chip shops know how to get them to crisp up a little better than average but yes i reckon same exact pies

Soldato

Pretty sure most chip shops openly advertise they use Pukka Pies! :D

Back
Top Bottom