“Free” formatted laptop – cheap operating system?

Associate
I’ve just been made redundant and work have let me keep my laptop but have advised They will be formatting it before letting me take it off the premesis on my last day
The spec is old but will do what I need- so I just need to get it back up and running
IBM thinpad T43 – bit like the link below

[edit by mods as the link was to a competitor]

Any suggestions for the cheapest ( reliable) route to get a copy of windows XP

( I was thinking xp and open office will let me do CV’s & job apps and maybe some contracting at a push )
Thanks in anticipation
Peter
PS –I’m non techie so please be gentle with me

Soldato
First off , chin up mate , I was made redundant years ago and it sucked

if you want free , then get a copy of ubunutu linux its free and pretty user friendly

Soldato
I would also go down the Linux route. Ubuntu + LibreOffice will be all you need to surf and bang out some CVs.

It might be worth asking your company's IT department if they have any OEM XP, as the laptop would have likely come with XP pre-installed before the IT lot got their hands on it.

Associate
T43's are excellent laptops so you did quite well there. Should run Windows 7 reasonably as I had Vista on one at one point and that ran fine. As already stated it would also be an excellent Ubuntu box if you want a free alternative. Thinkpads generally have excellent linux support and should work without any hassle. I would be surprised if there wasnt an XP sticker on the bottom at some point unless its gotten peeled off.

Back
Top Bottom