Free Google Home mini for Spotify Family account holders

Soldato
I wouldn't have one if they where free without a subscription to anything. These don't bring any benefit to a life I don't think. Only play toys in my eyes. Suppose for free what more do you want.

It's a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

I used to think the same way, but since having one in the kitchen and asking it for simple things like how long to cook a 2kg chicken, what's the weather going to be like at 3pm tomorrow, play some music on Spotify, ask Google to check something, get it to tell you a joke, etc. etc. really does show it's strengths.

I put mulitple alarms on mine all the time, as you can add multiple timers at once (it's much more helpful than say a cooker timer, or using your phone, as it's all voice commands).

There's no real tangible benefit to having one, but they make life a touch easier and more enjoyable - to say they don't bring any benefit to anyone at all is unfair. It's a gadget, but certainly not a toy - it's not like it's particularly fun or anything - but it's definitely a tool.

Soldato
It's a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

I used to think the same way, but since having one in the kitchen and asking it for simple things like how long to cook a 2kg chicken, what's the weather going to be like at 3pm tomorrow, play some music on Spotify, ask Google to check something, get it to tell you a joke, etc. etc. really does show it's strengths.

I put mulitple alarms on mine all the time, as you can add multiple timers at once (it's much more helpful than say a cooker timer, or using your phone, as it's all voice commands).

There's no real tangible benefit to having one, but they make life a touch easier and more enjoyable - to say they don't bring any benefit to anyone at all is unfair. It's a gadget, but certainly not a toy - it's not like it's particularly fun or anything - but it's definitely a tool.

Also helps Google to learn and listen...

Soldato
I'm sure we could go around in circles about this, but for those that use them (myself included), I'm not sure we're too bothered by the fact that they are 'listening'.

Indeed - couldn't give a toss to be honest. I've nothing to hide, and if it provides me with advertisements that are more suited to me, then so be it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Indeed - couldn't give a toss to be honest. I've nothing to hide, and if it provides me with advertisements that are more suited to me, then so be it.

This. I read all sorts of non-sense about Google harvesting your data like it makes a blind bit of difference.

Soldato
I'm sure we could go around in circles about this, but for those that use them (myself included), I'm not sure we're too bothered by the fact that they are 'listening'.

Lots of issues around it.

Lack of clarity around use of data... this will be huge in the future, it's already started with GDPR.

Look at how the Internet and data can be used to manipulate politics, this isn't a conspiracy.

Anwyay, don't want to derail.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Lots of issues around it.

is there though?

Lack of clarity around use of data... this will be huge in the future, it's already started with GDPR.

Seems pretty clear to me https://safety.google/privacy/data/

Look at how the Internet and data can be used to manipulate politics, this isn't a conspiracy.

:confused:

Are you saying Google is using it's data to manipulate politics? That sure sounds like conspiracy to me and a very serious allegation.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just tried as the wife has grottify premium.

After 3 million clicks of pictures to prove we're not robots, it then wants a credit card for something costing nothing.

Stuff that !

That's standard for any online purchase, even if there is no cost. A web store will still require card details.

Back
Top Bottom