Free HTC Vive experience at Nottingham Victoria centre

Soldato
Hi all,

Just to let anyone in the area know, you can have a free VR experience at the victoria shopping centre. It's right outside John Lewis. You decorate a christmas tree, but it gives you a great sense of being in another world, plus the motion controller is nigh on perfect.

I had a go yesterday, first VR experience. Thought it was brilliant, but personally not worth the £700 investment for me. Not sure if what I was seeing was the screen door effect, but the graphics looked a little strange to me (like watching an old interlaced movie back in the day). That said, the feeling of being inside the game with the fantastic controller was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I too don't see the value of the investment unless you are looking for something different. Just too expensive

If there were at least 20-30 must have games with another 20 or so average ones, and the price was £500 then I would be tempted.

The manager running the event said the same thing. Those controllers though!!!

Associate
Until you've been round a friends house and played a good selection of games on it for a bit I think it's hard to say if it's for you or not.

This is what I did, within ten days I'd bought a pc powerful enough to run it and purchased a vive :D

Associate
Quick question I've always wondered, when you're using the controllers to pick up and drop stuff, do you ever just kind of forget and go to drop the controller?

cant say ive ever done that, but there are wrist straps on the controllers anyway so even if you dropped it then it would just hang down

Associate
Quick question I've always wondered, when you're using the controllers to pick up and drop stuff, do you ever just kind of forget and go to drop the controller?
Yes, it had happened :p The wrist straps...use them! Recently I actually dropped both my controllers exiting SteamVR, thinking I had the straps on. They were not.

I don't know what crazy plastics they use on the Vive controllers, but they're practically indestructible: I've whacked my ceiling half a dozen times, watched friends and relations smack walls and radiators a half dozen more - not even a mark on them other than some paint which rubs off. You really have to seriously punch something solid with them to do any damage (as some have with certain fighting games).

Soldato
Tried this at White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds last week. Helmet was not comfortable with my glasses on so had to take them off. Then my eyes wouldnt focus and all I could see was two screens. Took it off then back on again blinked a few times then I saw one screen. Played about 30 seconds of a space game and had to take it off. Felt sick and had a mygraine for the rest of the day.(I am prone) Not a very good experience. Out of the 5 people who were waiting before me 2 felt sick and one was dizzy afterwards. People demo'ing it were a bit embarassed. Then after me my 7 year old tried it and he thought it was great.

Don
Can you recall what the space game was called? I'm not aware of any "good" space demos.

I get sickness in some of the demos where you are just watching things, but none in games where you are involved with the movement.

Soldato
chilipeppersc;30328178 said:
I too don't see the value of the investment unless you are looking for something different. Just too expensive

When you spend £500 on a graphics card then spending another £500 on a vive doesn't feel too bad, the reason I haven't brought one is I would want wireless and more games. When Vive 2 is released then I think we will see it being adopted more along with extra games being released.

Soldato
Out of the 20 or so people that have tried my vive no one felt sick and everyone said they were very impressed, maybe it was the demo setup that was poor, low framerates, bad tracking and poor game choice can cause motion sickness
Space games like eve valkrie and elitedangerous will make you feel sick if your barrel rolling, i felt sick at first but now i have grown an immunity and can play anything without nausea.

Soldato
danoliver1;30484184 said:
Out of the 20 or so people that have tried my vive no one felt sick and everyone said they were very impressed, maybe it was the demo setup that was poor, low framerates, bad tracking and poor game choice can cause motion sickness
Space games like eve valkrie and elitedangerous will make you feel sick if your barrel rolling, i felt sick at first but now i have grown an immunity and can play anything without nausea.

This was more than feeling sick. This brought on a really bad mygraine. I tend to stay away from anything that produces a mygraine, eg chocolate. So I will be staying away from VR.

As for the game not sure. You could either try Project Cars or the space game I dont remember what the title was. It started off with a big capital ship and little ships attacking you defending the capital ship. They said it was a new game coming out this year Star something I think.

Back
Top Bottom