Freeing up siezed adjusters on some coilovers.

Permabanned
Hi guys, after some advice from some of you mechanically minded bods!

Ive decided to start sorting my MX5 again, I picked up some cheap coilovers to tide me over till I get some free cash, bit ***** I know, but I only do 1k pa in the car! But ive driven the previous car with them on so I know they are good.

Anyway, the adjuster knobs are siezed, just wondering what the best way to free them, im guessing heat is a no no? Its the black knobs on em, Im changing the springs and top mounts so they will be shiney n spangly by the time ive finished :)

IMG_0485.jpg

Soldato
Internals are probably knackered tbh. Try some penetrating oil I guess, but I know the manual for my shocks states that using any amount of force on the adjusters will damage the internals and basically they need a rebuild in such a situation.

Associate
They don't look height adjustable to me, could be wrong, but I think your "knobs" will be for rebound setting.

Frankly, even if you only do 50 miles a year, with potentially siezed/worn parts in the struts, rusted springs and worn covers allowing all sorts in, I wouldn't be putting them on a car. For the price you can pick up some new (c. £350?) or even nearly new coilovers for these days, I'd be going down that route rather than spending money on new springs and mounts.

Doesn't mean you have to, just what I'd do.

Soldato
As above, they don't actually look like Coilovers, just shocks and springs with adjustable damping...

Soak in penetrating oil over night?

Back
Top Bottom