Fresh pasta - ravioli/pierogi

Soldato
Don't often venture into the kitchen or this subforum much these days... But after buying a pasta maker for my girlfriend last month I've been inspired to try fresh pasta a few times :)

I keep thinking "But you could make ravioli!" so... Here's take one. Fairly disappointed with the balance/proportion but I learned a LOT. Will be trying a second batch very soon, probably without egg in the pasta as partner is vegan.

This lot is eggs, plain and semolina flour for the pasta. Filling is tofu, vegan cheddar style cheese, and sun-dried tomato. Needs some creamier cheese I think but that's what was handy.

Anyone else making their own pasta? How about fillings?

CQH8lx4l.jpg
1tiuTpel.jpg
F59JWTil.jpg

Soldato
my DDD education told me these were often browned in a fry pan at the end ?

I've just done lasagna and gnocchi manually with a ridger.. I let it dry out in a fridge but nonetheless, the latter disintegrated a bit. in the mac'n'cheese I prepared.

Soldato
OP
my DDD education told me these were often browned in a fry pan at the end ?

I've just done lasagna and gnocchi manually with a ridger.. I let it dry out in a fridge but nonetheless, the latter disintegrated a bit. in the mac'n'cheese I prepared.
Indeed, proper pierogi can be fried a bit at the end. I think I PLANNED for ravioli but did watch a video on making pierogi on Tuesday... It suggested leaving the pasta thicker as it will stretch when folded. But I layered instead of folding. I'd also make the pasta thinner next time, and cram more filling into bigger discs.

For the squishy issue, so far I find flouring the pasta at almost every step helps. Certainly between every other roll in the pasta roller. Also helps stop it sticking together while you get ready to cook it.

Tonight I'll try egg free as the pasta was quite tough.

Soldato
the dried pasta I buy is exclusively wholewheat ... like wholemeal bread a concession to health with a lower GI ...
I have yet to reasearch whether you can do that at home ... in retrospect never seen that on a tv show
(forgot to watch the new Rachel Koo's new one, last night ... maybe she'll show me)

Soldato
OP
Interesting point. I guess there's soba noodles which is buckwheat. Should try that too, I also want to try putting vegetable puree in the dough. Spinach or pumpkin should be tasty!

Had another go last night: no egg, thinner pasta, bigger discs and more filling. Waaayyy closer to what I wanted, though the pasta's still a little chewy/thick:

BnkAolSl.jpg
UXR3ipSl.jpg

Soldato
When people say fresh pasta takes too long I always show them the Jamie Oliver video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi5SkWXeBM

However, ravioli is a bit of a mission. I guess I'll get quicker with practice but let's face it - the time-making to time-eating ratio is not great!

Not to take over the thread but I excelled myself last week;

Homemade butternut squash, garlic and ricotta ravioli with mushrooms, sage butter and pine nuts.
df4cPvB.png

In all honesty I think you're doing well but vegan pasta (especially ravioli!) is a losing battle, lol :p Although I guess you could pretty much do that recipe? :confused:

Always up for more ideas on fillings if anyone has any ideas :)

Soldato
OP
When people say fresh pasta takes too long I always show them the Jamie Oliver video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi5SkWXeBM

However, ravioli is a bit of a mission. I guess I'll get quicker with practice but let's face it - the time-making to time-eating ratio is not great!

Not to take over the thread but I excelled myself last week;

Homemade butternut squash, garlic and ricotta ravioli with mushrooms, sage butter and pine nuts.
df4cPvB.png

In all honesty I think you're doing well but vegan pasta (especially ravioli!) is a losing battle, lol :p Although I guess you could pretty much do that recipe? :confused:

Always up for more ideas on fillings if anyone has any ideas :)
Oof, that looks stonkingly good. You're very right about the time ratio, dissatisfyingly long. But it's extra stages like making separate sauces and toppings like you've done, that I can't be bothered with. Though obviously adds levels of enjoyment to the eating :)

The dough isn't too hard vegan pasta wise, or maybe I'm just learning on hard mode? Loads of kneading needed. Could do your recipe above with vegan cream cheese, vegan parmeggiano stuff. I was recommended sage butter today by my Italian in-law!

Oh also... Took my mum for lunch and went to the same place as Wednesday, got more fresh pasta. I have a problem!

Soldato
I’ve been making tagliatelle from scratch. I don’t have a pasta machine so hand rolling it. Ten minutes to make the dough and knead, 30 minutes in the fridge (I make the accompaniments during this time), five minutes to roll out and 2.30 to cook.
Really enjoyed the result. I tried ravioli once but my rolled out dough is too thick.

Soldato
OP
Bumping this because fresh pasta has become part of life now... Somehow we haven't ordered a takeaway in the 10 weeks since getting a pasta machine! Normally there'd be 2-3 a month at least.

Last night's dinner: a bit of chili powder and chipotle paste in the dough, and simple pesto/cream cheese mix on it.

jNDkwZcl.jpg

Soldato
Partner is vegan so flour and water! I use 50/50 semolina flour and 00 pasta flour. Getting good at making the mix drier and drier, so I don't keep adding more flour to firm it up.

Also got these toys for my birthday last week:

What are some of her favourite fillings? Need some ideas for vegan pasta.

Soldato
OP
What are some of her favourite fillings? Need some ideas for vegan pasta.
Most supermarkets have a vegan cream cheese (think Boursin) with/without herbs. This is a great base, you can put sun-dried tomatoes in with it too.

I did also make a vegan Bolognese (normal recipe but this mince: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...anuary/the-meatless-farm-meat-free-mince-400g ) and put that in some. But that's two entire cooking sessions so pretty time-consuming :)

She mostly likes to do a simple tomato and chili sauce which we freeze portions of - makes quick dinners easy even with pasta making time.

Back
Top Bottom