Friday night FOOTBALL!!!!! (2016/17-2018/19 TV rights)

Don
Don't think it's that bad for fans, just go after work on a Friday night, rugby has been on a Friday for ages.

That's ok for the majority of home supporters but what will Southampton fans do when they've away to Newcastle at 7.45pm?

Just like with Monday night games I don't see much of a problem with these matches providing they only involve local teams.

Associate
I'd be happy with Friday night games.

I remember when Arsenal played Newcastle in the Premier League on a Friday night at Highbury (it ended 3-2 to Arsenal).

It was a good night but I remember meeting up with some Newcastle fans who complained of the journey on a Friday, probably didn't help that they lost.

Man of Honour
what will Southampton fans do when they've away to Newcastle at 7.45pm?

I remember when Arsenal played Newcastle in the Premier League on a Friday night at Highbury (it ended 3-2 to Arsenal).

It was a good night but I remember meeting up with some Newcastle fans who complained of the journey on a Friday, probably didn't help that they lost.

Personally I'm of the view that away fans travel arrangements is not massively important for league matches (bearing in mind the smaller away allocation compared to cup matches which are frequently played midweek). I remember looking at the FA Cup final a couple of years ago which was a 5pm kickoff on a Saturday and I think Wigan fans would struggle to get home via train. I don't really see Friday as being any worse than other midweek games, in fact arguably Friday is the best midweek day because the majority won't need to work the next day (nor will their team be playing on Saturday).

If I was going away to Newcastle I would probably arrange to stay overnight and perhaps hit the town or do some sight-seeing the next day. At least with a Friday game I would only need to book one day off work instead of two compared to other weekdays. Or if travelling by coach again at least you can get home at 6am or whatever and rest up on Saturday.

I'm slightly biased because my office is much closer to the stadium than my house so I usually only go to midweek games now, but I think in the modern game that has embraced TV money we need to be realistic about the demands that places on scheduling.

Don
That's just the UK rights. Even if overseas rights don't increase (but they will and probably massively too), you're looking at over £7bn for 3 years or £350m per club.

Man of Honour
Premier League UK live broadcasting rights for the three seasons 2016/17-2018/19 awarded.

Sky gets 126 matches
BT gets 42 matches

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...ue-uk-live-broadcasting-rights-announced.html

Sky awarded five packages - they get Friday evenings, Saturday afternoons (12.45 KOs), Sunday afternoons, Monday evenings and bank holidays.

BT awarded two packages - they get Saturday evenings (17.30 KOs) and midweek games.

Rights sold for £5.136bn.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/9708810/sky-sports-wins-live-premier-league-rights

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Crazy prices.

50% divided equally between the clubs.
25% awarded to clubs based on their final league position.
25% distributed to clubs as "facilities fee" for televised matches

Rolling around in it:

Estimated upshot: from 2016-17 season, BOTTOM club in PL will get c. £99 million prize money. And top club will get £156 MILLION. Blimey.

Hope the fans get to see some of it in reduced ticket prices.

Don
To put this deal into perspective, it's almost worth the same as the overall TV rights (including overseas, highlights etc) from the last auction and everybody thought those figures were astronomical.

I mentioned the possibility of £8bn as the total figure once the overseas rights are sold but at second thoughts, that's probably too conservative. Overseas rights grew by around 50% last time around and there's more scope for growth there than the UK rights. Even a 50% increase would see overall rights go past £8.5bn.

Don
50% divided equally between the clubs.
25% awarded to clubs based on their final league position.
25% distributed to clubs as "facilities fee" for televised matches

Rolling around in it:

Estimated upshot: from 2016-17 season, BOTTOM club in PL will get c. £99 million prize money. And top club will get £156 MILLION. Blimey.

Hope the fans get to see some of it in reduced ticket prices.

That's before any increase in the overseas rights which have grown at similar rates to the UK rights.

Back
Top Bottom