Friend has lost his drivers licence before a driving trip abroad

Associate
I'm about to start my journey moving to Finland. My friend is driving the van while I drive my car. Today he lost his driving licence card which of course is a legal requirement to drive in many countries. I read online about a "certificate of entitlement" to drive which is issued by the dvla for situations like this. Anybody have any relevant experience or advice? Is this the way to resolve this? He wants to phone them when he gets to France but I think he should do it tomorrow before we leave. I think he's afraid they'll say no you can't go but I can't personally see them being so awkward with wasting his time and money by trying to stop him going on a trip which is fully paid for.

Got my information from here:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...placement-tourist/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Thanks!

Soldato
Surely he'd be a fool not to at least contact the DVLA and try and get some sort of proof of his licence before he leaves the UK unless you're actually on the ferry right now? It's not like he's been banned, he has a valid licence to drive so they should be pretty amenable i'd have thought?

The chances of actually needing it should be fairly slim though unless you speed all the way there and cut up any local police cars you see.

Back
Top Bottom