Front Fork Noise And Unsmooth Movement

Associate
2 weeks ago I noticed a creaking sound coming from the left fork when I pushed down on it, it's gradually become less noticeable but if you really apply some pressure you can get it to replicate the noise, like an aching metal sound. It also feels like the fork is becoming "stuck" as it returns to its upright position, it isn't a fully smooth movement. The bike has 24k miles on it and is 5 years old and the forks would have never been looked at, but the mechanic's opinion is that there's nothing wrong with them and that the forks usually always do this over time, they're very adamant the forks don't need to be serviced and that I'd just be wasting my money.

Any other opinions on this? I don't want to let the inside of the forks corrode or get damaged, but at the same time I value the mechanic's opinion.

jcr

jcr

Associate
after 24k miles you should definitely be changing the fork oil. it made a noticeable difference to my bikes handling when i put fresh oil in.

Tea Drinker
Don
Oil and bushes really, do you know if there’s any oil in them? Wouldn’t trust the right amount to be in there from factory.

Forks take a lot of abuse water weather dirt constant movement constant stress they need servicing

Associate
OP
Oil and bushes really, do you know if there’s any oil in them? Wouldn’t trust the right amount to be in there from factory.

I have no idea, I presume there is because they have been smooth up until now. But the mechanic is very certain that they don't need servicing and it's not like they don't have an incentive to do it they could easily charge me an hour for labour. I think I will try and do it myself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any noticeable change in performance of the suspension should be investigated. Same goes for braking or any other critical components. Has the mechanic ridden the bike and experienced it or has he just given it a push down in the ‘shop? You will know your bike better than anyone so go with your gut. If it has changed noticeably, you need to find out why.

It really isn’t that complicated to disassemble, inspect, clean, and rebuild forks. Give it a go yourself. Unless you’re on something exotic, I expect there are plenty of YouTube ‘how-to’ videos.

Back
Top Bottom