FTTP being installed at home shortly, how to take advantage?

Permabanned
I am just waiting on an install of 500/250 FTTP at home, should be in about a month. I currently have 80/20 Sky Fibre. I currently use an ASUS AC88U router for WiFi.

House is quite big at 2000 sq/ft so WiFi isn't great at the moment but with FTTP I would like to take advantage better.

Sky Q is on WiFi and is always dropping out. PS4 Pro is currently connected to WiFi.

Should I just put powerline adapters everywhere? Or WiFi boosters?

House is ten years old so the internal electrics should be good.

It's not an option to route cables everywhere as the house was recently decorated.

The current router is on the ground floor in the corner of the house, excuse the poor image but I have put a red dot where it is. I could run an external cable to the loft from the router and put a 1.3 Gbps Ubiquiti WiFi unit in the loft (central), would that cover everything? Then run powerline adapters to the Sky Q/PS4 Pro?

Screen_Shot_2018-05-28_at_12.27.42.png

Last edited:
Soldato
A centralised access point in the loft wouldn't be a bad shout and might be enough on its own as you house is likely just timber construction with plasterboard walls internally that should not interfere as much with wireless signals as brick walls would. You may still struggle to fully 'max out' you connection over wireless links however and personally I have always found powerline adaptors rather disappointing (but I accept mileage may vary wildly here depending on the condition and configuration of the electrical wiring in the premises in question)

Soldato
With those FTTP speeds, I would try hard-wire your house with Ethernet so everything can reap the benefits.

Power lines will not achieve anywhere near max speeds. WiFi boosters will be shoddy as well, especially with lots of walls and a 2000 sq/ft house.

Soldato
If ethernet is truly not an option, you better hope your internal electrical wiring is up to scratch.

Look at some decent AV2 power line plugs then and hope to god you get full speeds :o

My suggestion would be the TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT

EDIT: If they suck, just return them ;) But then you have to ethernet instead :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wired up a ~2002 build by going up in the loft and having a look around - turns out that the soil stack ran the full height of the house and you could cable rod right from the loft to the ground floor, past two other floors on the way. Same for the other side of the house, where the heating pipes ran between the boiler, water cylinder, bathrooms and radiators.

Being able to position sockets on either side of the house and then run them via the loft made the whole thing really straightforward. I could have a socket right next to the master phone outlet, and a switch and router in the cupboard under the stairs.

Permabanned
OP
Got my install date of 13th July. They have brought the fibre to the house now. Speaking to the guys they had brought the fibre 650m to my house, I have a single cable all to myself lol.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah as there isn’t fibre down my street so they had to bring it 650 metres to my house. I will pay £85 a month on a 24 month contract.

Cool thing is that no one else will be using it!

Soldato
Yeah as there isn’t fibre down my street so they had to bring it 650 metres to my house. I will pay £85 a month on a 24 month contract.

Cool thing is that no one else will be using it!
I’m trying to get fibre done at mine and the cheapest I could get was 36 months at 220 plus vat with no install cost. How are you getting it so cheap and do you have to pay install costs ?

Caporegime
It's with KCOM. It's ultimately like comparing the prices that you're quoted by Openreach with Hyperoptic, B4rn, Gigaclear etc. - meaningless unless you're living in one of the areas they cover.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah as Caged said it’s with KCOM, they have their own network here. I’m on the edge of their area which means I have the choice of BT or KCOM. If you live in Hull you cannot get BT, KCOM have the monopoly.

It would have been around a £2k install cost but I used this to get it for free: https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/

They brought the fibre to the bottom of my drive...

28_BC63_E5-_D5_DC-4493-_AFE1-40_E64_A1_BBA8_D.jpg

Then went underground and brought it to the house...

IMG_3427.jpg

They are coming back on the 13th July for the final install.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom