FTTP on Demand - whos got it?

Associate
Checked the dslchecker and apparently I now have FTTP on Demand available.

view

Anyone purchased it? Got an up to date price list handy? I saw the openreach price online of £750 + VAT for connection then £1188 + VAT per year + a distance charge? Is that all correct?

Caporegime
It was an appealing product when the only cost difference was the installation and then you could pick your own ISP. Now that it is considered a different product so the monthly rates are nearly 3 times what they would be for GEA FTTP, not so much.

From that article:

BT—fresh from being whacked with a multi-million pound fine after a serious breach of Ofcom's rules—has been told that it must slash wholesale prices that Openreach charges telcos for its 40Mbps broadband service to bolster competition in the market.

The UK's communications regulator said that the move would encourage rival ISPs, many of whom rely on BT's Openreach infrastructure, to invest in full fibre networks.

...how? How does a reduction in the price of the product encourage competition amongst the ISPs that resell the product? How does a revenue reduction encourage investment? How does seeing Ofcom regulating prices downwards encourage other providers to build their own networks?

Ofcom don't have a clue about what they are doing, they're just chasing this idea that lots of people rebadging a service = competition, and cheaper = better.

APM

APM

Associate
Maybe they are hoping for more ISP's to appear from somewhere by lowering the entry point for new players?

It seems counter-intuitive but if lower prices do find their way to the consumer then all good and hopefully better services will have to arrive to keep things interesting.

Associate
OP
So the on demand is just for business at £150 + vat per month? Well that sucks. But they are still building houses on my estate so I wonder if Openreach will lay some fibre to the new builds as standard?

Ah well doesn't matter. Don't really need 330mb but I keep reading about people getting 1gb for £30 a month etc I thought MAYBE BT's FTTP would be in the same kind of bracket. HA HA HA.

Associate
On the dslchecker does your FTTP say on demand though? Second question how did you order your FTTP? On the normal BT page only the 80mb package is offered to me.

Mine shows as the following,

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30

When i type my postcodee into BT's website it comes up with a little tab to move the packages along to the left, showing more options.

Looks like its going from around £49 a month to £65 now my first year is up :(

Associate
OP
Mine shows as the following,

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30

When i type my postcodee into BT's website it comes up with a little tab to move the packages along to the left, showing more options.

Looks like its going from around £49 a month to £65 now my first year is up :(

Hmm on the BT site mine just says up to 80mb.

Not too good on that price hike though! Are there other suppliers you can go with?

Associate
OP
It says I can get 330mb 30 on demand, what does this mean? :p

Well according to a BT online chat it means the exchange is ready for FTTP but no FTTP is laid to your property. Hopefully they will do it soon.

Also Daaaavvveee BT just told me Unlimited Infinity 4 is £46 per month for 12 months?

Associate
Hmm on the BT site mine just says up to 80mb.

Not too good on that price hike though! Are there other suppliers you can go with?
Either BT, Zen or A&A. But they are all more expensive also.

Bit annoying really :(

Well according to a BT online chat it means the exchange is ready for FTTP but no FTTP is laid to your property. Hopefully they will do it soon.

Also Daaaavvveee BT just told me Unlimited Infinity 4 is £46 per month for 12 months?

Yes, add line rental on top goes to £65 :( or if i agree to an 18month contract it will drop to £50

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
our compnay currently pays approximately 150+vat for a fibre link. it took ages to get the link - approx 18months. but the initial installation cost was only 500+vat. the link is in, the speed is 70/50 not as fast as I expected it. but the problem is the ISP that supply the services seems to have serious issues, we get downtime every week.

Soldato
Bumping this thread, my cabinet has just started to show as FTTPoD available (not native FTTP)... Curious after reading it seems you can only get quotes from BT or Fluidone, who both seem to be 'business only'.

So in terms of FTTPoD is there no companies that offer it at a reasonable price? I've enquired with Fluidone and Zen to see if they can quote for the service for now. I'm probably about 500m from the cabinet...

Soldato
@Caged yeah I've seen that, unsure if those prices are fixed and not deviated away from though? I've seen a few posts and people have quoted varied charges from nothing, to a few hundred to thousands! (all FTTPoD)

Looking at that, makes me think Band C for ECC charges so c.£1750 plus vat and then £99pm minimum for 330/30...

All they have to do is blow fibre from the cab to my house! All cabling is underground, the junction for the duct is right outside my house.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I'm with Zen, and I've enquired a couple of times with them about FTTPoD, and they just aren't interested.

TJM

TJM

Associate
On a hassle to profit ratio, managing a fibre run for a single customer probably isn't worth it for them.

Associate
Wish I was in a native FTTP area so I don't have to pay those extremely high FTTPoD prices. Truth be told, the FTTPoD lines are geared towards those that run a business from home so it would make sense for them. Fluidone are the only ISP offering FTTPoD at the moment, as far as I am aware.

Back
Top Bottom