FTTP Options

POB

POB

Soldato
Hi,

Looking like I finally get my new build at the end of the month. :D

We have FTTP which is great.

Is BT / Zen my only options ? I can't get any other provider to detect the property.

Both of these sites will immediately take an order.

Not sure if it is due to it being new property and the postcode not in sites lists, or I can only have FTTP products?

Hitman
Soldato
If its anything like ours, the houses on our development have FTTP through OFNL. Through them, you can sign up to a couple of small independent ISPs. Major ISPs like Virgin/BT are locked out - I believe the developer decides who can and can't run cables on the estate, at least until it's adopted by the council?

It might be worth checking if that's what you're getting as we were very incorrectly told that we'd be able to sign up to BT/Virgin/etc - it's one of the first questions I asked!

To be fair, we've had no issues with them (after almost 3 years) but I don't like being tied into a small selection of ISPs. The only issue I can remember is that we were one of the first people to move onto the estate, so the "outside link" took a while to be connected - if I remember, I think it piggy backs from the BT fibre network overall, yet we can't be served by any ISP running on their network except the ones I linked to above.

POB

POB

Soldato
OP
Thanks, BT shows the property and it is accepting an order. The house has an openreach box already.

Just kinda surprised at the price being more then standard broadband. But guess its just down to lack of competition at the moment. BT want £50 per month. or £55.99 for the 300mb product.

Where it is like £27.99 at the moment for Plusnet with 66mb down.

Guess I'll just have to pay for it.

Permabanned
Yeah it's BT (which I have and the service is very good) or Zen.
I have a copper line AND a fibre line, but newer houses that go straight to FTTP don't have a copper line, so FTTP is the only option.
Yes FTTP is expensive, and that's bad for most people - who would settle for FTTC at a more reasonable price.
It's an annual job when your contract ends to take up whatever the BT black friday deal is.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks, BT shows the property and it is accepting an order. The house has an openreach box already.

Just kinda surprised at the price being more then standard broadband. But guess its just down to lack of competition at the moment. BT want £50 per month. or £55.99 for the 300mb product.

Where it is like £27.99 at the moment for Plusnet with 66mb down.

Guess I'll just have to pay for it.

Damn, that's pricey.

Vodafone Gigafast that I had put in last week is £48pm for 900mb.

Associate
Andrews & Arnold
Cerberus

and a few others resell Openreach FTTP.

If the ONT is fitted then have the serial number to hand when you want to order it can be quite useful!

Soldato
Following with interest as buying a new build soon which has FTTP - which is great but then it’s deciding on which ISP to choose!

I wonder how long before Plusnet bring out their often as their trial ended last year. Normally a cheaper offering than BT but with ultimately the same level of experience.

Zen have always well regarded and seem competitive so might be a good option. Although not looking at Sky so another option considering is BT TV which might sway a decision...

Back
Top Bottom