Fun games for two players, while having a beer

Associate
Hi.

I'm interested in getting hold of some modern board/card games that we can play, just the two of us (but possibly more people if we have guests) while we're having a few beers or glasses of wine.

So grownup stuff, without drifting into 'adult games' funny, and not mega complicated. And no massive set-up required.

Found one called Gloom(?) that sounds ok, but I thought I'd jump on here for some advice.

I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yeah, we have that on one of the consoles. I was hoping to find something more modern.

Rapidough looks like a good laugh, but you need more than two people.

I'm sure some more suggestions will come in. Board/card games are popular again at the moment...

Associate
OP
Haha.

I think it's more party style games we like, no complicated boards/pieces - as the cats can obliterate things at any point - the only one we have is Taboo, which can be played as a stripped down version with two players. Might look into trivia and more party style word games....

Associate
OP
I think I may have found one.... does Smart-Ass play OK in the UK? like it's not an American game with specifically US questions? I know you can get expansion card packs too....

Soldato
I would recommend the Jack box Party pack games. They'res 5 of them. I don't think too many of them are aimed towards 2 players, mainly 3+. But the Party Pack 5 does have a 2+ trivia type game. Its available on a few platforms with the questions being answered on your phones.

Associate
OP
Found a few that we like, bought them yesterday: Smart Ass, 5 Second rule and Exploding Kittens.

If anyone can suggest other games in that style, that can be played with two or more?

Associate
OP
Also... two of those games we bought are variations on trivia/quiz format...

If Trivial Pursuit is the daddy of all quiz games, what would come in second place, third place etc... ?

Soldato
Some already mentioned but Codenames Duet, Hive, Splendor, Jaipur, Patchwork and Star Realms are all excellent games and take about 30 seconds to set up... Hive in particular do a pocket edition and the game can be played anywhere with even a tiny table.

You sound like your looking at the game section in a supermarket/WH Smiths, look for a local game store and pop in, there a whole world of games out there.

I find quiz games are difficult to recommend as once you play with someone who knows the answers the game is ruined.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I kinda get that, that's why we kinda like Triv, there's so many question packs out there.

Plus neither of us can remember many of the questions next time they come around. We're basically a couple of goldfish... :)

Soldato
If you really want a trivial pursuit drinking game then I would definitely recommend Trivial Pursuit for the PS3 - my girlfriend (now wife) and I had many a drunken night playing it - good times!

Alas on PS3 only - can't find a better version for PS4 - have got Don't Know Jack etc but not the same as PS3 Trivial Pursuit

As someone else mentioned - go to a proper board game shop and see what they have :)

Associate
OP
Yeah, we have TP on one of the consoles.... might even be the one you're talking about... problem is that where we live now we don't have the consoles set our ready and easily accessible like at the previous place, and it's such a pain to drg them all out and set them up, we actually haven't done it once since being at the new flat - which is 2.5 years.... setting up the actual TP board, or any other, is way less hassle.... and we spend too much time staring at screens already, so don't want to play on phone or tablet....

Back
Top Bottom