Further Maths or not?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'd recommend Further Maths if you love maths and are good at it, but not otherwise. It's certainly harder that the standard Maths A Level. But if maths really does turn you on, it could be the best thing for you.

Soldato
I don't know what further maths entails, as we have a completely different exam structure up here, but I do have experience on taking the easy route for my last year of school.
I started with quite a difficult timetable - Maths, Chemistry, and German at Advanced Higher and Tech Studies and Biology at Higher, having never done Biology and only Standard Grade (GCSE-level) German. I decided to get rid of German and Biology as they were too much hassle and I didn't think I'd need them again as I was going to study Maths at uni.

I then changed my mind about what I wanted to do, and ended up in Chemical Engineering. I took Biology as the only not-impossible elective in first year, and then had to do a mandatory module in 2nd year. If I'd stuck with it at high school, I probably would have found the lectures really easy. Unfortunately, I just ended up with a bigger work load later on.

If you think Chemistry is a worth-while switch and that you will ever do it, then go for it. If you're having doubts about what course you want to apply for though, and you just don't want the extra work-load, then be very careful about what you do. Maths comes up for a lot of different courses, and can get quite complicated beyond first year, so it's worth having a solid basis of understanding to work on, rather than being overwhelmed.

Soldato
i did Computer Science at Uni, not much maths involved in my course, mainly set theory and a few forumals that were pretty easy anyway :) i just did standard Maths at A-Level

Caporegime
I did further maths, did fine at AS levels, but tried to drop it at A2 because it was too hard for me and I didn't enjoy it, the school forced me to carry on and I screwed up most of the papers.

They juggled all my modules around though and I still got my A in maths a level and a C overall for further maths a level, so it wasn't all bad

I got into Cambridge for medicine no problems, and I really doubt my further maths made the slightest diffference at all, so for me it was a waste of time.

Associate
i did further maths - its actaully fairly easy if you get maths. I would definately do it if you are going down any engineering route (and obviously do the mechs modules). You don't get as many free periods that is true BUT you would prolly end up just wasting your time in those free periods anyway so may as well be slightly more productive :)

ps f. maths is definately a feather in your cap if ** going for oxbridge (all my engineering mates did it who got into oxbridge).

Associate
I only did FM AS in my second year and got a C for it and got into Imperial, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester and Sheffield to do electronic engineering. Cambridge rejected me and did ask me why I didn't take it but my rejection was probably down to other reasons (GCSE grades weren't Oxbridge standard, my interview was terrible) so if you do decide to go for Electronic Engineering then rest at ease at the fact that the subject is so ridiculously uncompetitive that you don't need it

If you don't like it andfind it too hard then switch. It doesn't get any easier. Another personal experience: I originally did Economics and didn't like so I dropped it and took up Physics a month into my first term. Turned out that I liked it and got an A with the highest mark out of any of my subjects. What I was taught in the first few weeks of AS Chemistry was just reviewing GCSE stuff so you probably haven't missed much yet

Don't worry about losing free lessons. The novelty wears off after a while. I ended up teaching myself German because I had nothing else better to do :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I did further maths as an AS whilst I was doing my A2's in chemistry maths and physics. Theres some really interesting stuff in there.
If you can cope with maths then you will be fine on the difficulty side of things. Its also a damn sight more interesting than plain Maths (atleast it was for me with the modules I did - further pure 1+4, and decision)

Go for it :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice people :)

After reading through it all, it seems to me that for both Computer Science and Electronic Engineering, the Further Maths may be more advantageous than Chemistry. However that is of course assuming that by continuing the Further Maths I wouldn't be risking my performance in Physics and D&T. I think I do enjoy Maths at one level, but my worry is (and I think within the two days that I've done FM for this has started to happen) that with so much Maths and not enough of other subjects I would get really bored of it. I know some people can still manage to do alright with something they don't enjoy, but for me, I just don't work like that. I have to enjoy something. The other problem is there are only two people in the class (including myself) and I'm already feeling like I'm the less capable one and it's not doing my head any good.

So in short I think neocon hit the nail on the head with "Just take the easiest route and save yourself some stress." As for my usage of free periods, I really will use them well so will benefit from the extras. Just to clarify for anyone that was confused about what I had planned to do:

AS: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, D&T and General Studies - Six free periods/week
A2: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and D&T - Six free periods/week (four if I carried on with GS).

Now thinking:

AS: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, D&T and General Studies - Six free periods/week
A2: Maths, Physics, D&T and General Studies - Ten free periods a week (twelve if I dropped GS).

Dropping Further Maths at A2 isn't an option, and neither is dropping one of others (except GS).

Thus I think Chemistry is going to be the better option for me (that word again - think :( ).

Thanks, null :)

Man of Honour
If you are going to a very mathmatic based course at university, such as engineering, or more obviously maths, it may well be worth it. However, it can be soul destroying as people have pointed out, so it might be worth taking something else that is relevent instead, such as another science.

I can't see further maths being valued over any other A level if you arn't going towards a very mathmatical based course. It may be best to think broader if you are unsure.

Soldato
ojste said:
AS in further maths is just normal maths crammed into 1 year though isnt it? thats what it was for me..
Was completely different stuff for me.
We did loads on Matrices (of every shape and form) loads more vector stuff, n ot to forget discrete maths with all that immaginary numbers stuff :)

I was thinking at the start of last year I'd get bored of doing 2 maths A-Levels.
By the end of the year I was bored stiff with Physics and Chemistry, yet still enjoyed maths :p

Una

Una

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
Was completely different stuff for me.
We did loads on Matrices (of every shape and form) loads more vector stuff, n ot to forget discrete maths with all that immaginary numbers stuff :)

I was thinking at the start of last year I'd get bored of doing 2 maths A-Levels.
By the end of the year I was bored stiff with Physics and Chemistry, yet still enjoyed maths :p

Sounds like it would have been pretty useful for me. Since most of first year computer science maths was discrete with vector/matricies been covered a lot.
From what I heard from friends who were doing it. They said that further maths was not that much harder, it was just the workload of maths that you did. If you can handle the amount of maths go for it. It will be useful if you wish to do a mathmatical subject at Uni. If not pick something else. Unless your aiming at oxford/cambridge I doubt offers would specify further maths.

Soldato
Una said:
Unless your aiming at oxford/cambridge I doubt offers would specify further maths.
Its a good persuasive factor. say you were asked by a uni to get a A in maths but just missed that, but had done well in Further maths that will count in your favour heavily. This is the situation my mate is in with applying to Swansea (iirc)

further maths is no harder. its just more :p

Associate
I did further maths at A level (along with Maths, Physics and Double ICT), and found it very helpful at uni. I'm just starting my 3rd year of mechanical engineering, doing further maths gave me quite a head start in the first year or 2. It's not usually vital though, they usually assume you only know up to regular maths, they teach you just about everything you need to know.

At A level I quite enjoyed further maths for the most part, it was the only subject i really found challenging. Regular maths was pretty simple if you're mathematically minded, ICT was a joke, and physics wasn't that hard especially in the first year (apart from when I had to learn a module myself, the school didn't have enough A level teachers for some subjects, so I had to learn about 1/3 of my maths and physics modules independantly :( ).

I'd reccommend doing Further Maths if you're doing Engineering, Maths or Physics at uni, and got an A or higher at GCSE (no point in doing further maths unless you're gonna get a half decent grade in it).

Soldato
Hamzter said:
I'd reccommend doing Further Maths if you're doing Engineering/QUOTE]

Yep, the amount of maths in my engineering course which is way above A Level standard is sickening. If you're good at maths, then this will help you A LOT in engineering.

Back
Top Bottom