• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fury X or GTX 980 SLI?

Soldato
I know this will probably turn into Nvidia vs AMD, but that's sort of what the thread is about so not unexpected.

Assuming you already own the cards, so price isn't a factor, which would you go for these days?
A single Fury X
or
2 GTX 980s in SLI (both reference cards)

Given they both have 4GB VRAM that doesn't seem to make a difference. Now 980 SLI seems like it should perform better, but it does rely on SLI working and working pretty well.

I believe a Fury X should out perform a single GTX 980?

Fury X should run cooler but in my experience overclocking is limited. The 980s will run hotter and be noisier but there is room for overclocking.

Is either card noticeably better for VR?

Gaming will be varied but will probably include:
Diablo 3
Heroes of the Storm
Fortnite
Paragon
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Dead and Buried
PUBG
X-COM
Blood Bowl 2

Thanks.

Soldato
I know this will probably turn into Nvidia vs AMD, but that's sort of what the thread is about so not unexpected.

Assuming you already own the cards, so price isn't a factor, which would you go for these days?
A single Fury X
or
2 GTX 980s in SLI (both reference cards)

Given they both have 4GB VRAM that doesn't seem to make a difference. Now 980 SLI seems like it should perform better, but it does rely on SLI working and working pretty well.

I believe a Fury X should out perform a single GTX 980?

Fury X should run cooler but in my experience overclocking is limited. The 980s will run hotter and be noisier but there is room for overclocking.

Is either card noticeably better for VR?

Gaming will be varied but will probably include:
Diablo 3
Heroes of the Storm
Fortnite
Paragon
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Dead and Buried
PUBG
X-COM
Blood Bowl 2

Thanks.

Personally I would get neither, a 980ti or a 1070 / VEGA 56 at the right price would be my choice.

Soldato
I had a pair of 980's, performance was good but sold up to get a fury and freesync monitor, both served me well for gaming but not sure what support for sli is like at the mo

Man of Honour
GTX 1070 or Vega 56

Forget the 4gb cards.

I once played XCOM maxed @2160p, it used 11gb of memory. Having said that with a single card you won't need that much memory but 4gb is not enough for modern games and higher resolutions.

Soldato
OP
This is for a secondary PC so it doesn't need to be the best. It'll be used at 1440p @ 60Hz.

It's a fair point about VRAM though, even if 980 SLI is supported, is 4GB enough to keep up with the 'grunt' on offer?

Soldato
I've found SLI to be a generally pleasant experience so with the big performance boost you would get over the fury i would take the SLI, there will be games that just use too much vram but you can always just turn down the most memory demanding settings and turn up the rest, i occasionally had to do that in the past with sli and crossfire. I havent played many of the games on your list so i wouldnt know how they perform in SLI though.

Caporegime
As the Fury has that magic memory, I would go with that... Chuck loads of VRAM hungry games at it and no problem......

On a serious note, as it is a second PC, if 1080P gaming, one 980 (avoid SLI) or one Fury but I would opt for neither and grab a 1060 or 580 and save a few squid and game with settings toned down if needed.

Soldato
Secondary or not I would sell them all if you think you can and get a 1070/56. None of those setups are great these days.

If you must keep then probably Fury X due to multi Gpu support. Hard one though as with sli the 980's are well faster.

Caporegime
If I had to choose between them, then I would take the Fury X due to it being faster than one GTX 980. If what you play will work fine with SLI then fair enough. As for VR, I assume that the 980 would be better?

However, as others have said, I'd rather have something like a Vega 56 (when the non-reference cards arrive) or a GTX1070/80. Find the best bang for the buck you can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom