1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fury X still OK?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by mushtafa, Jan 3, 2020.

1. mushtafa

Wise Guy

Long story short; having trouble keeping my 390x cool. (Thread in the general section).

Seen a Fury X for sale locally, with it having it's own AIO cooler, it should run cooler in my setup than the 390x.

Is it worth spending the money on the Fury X? Is it still an OK card?

2. bru

Soldato

Well the FuryX will only be a little faster than a RX570 and they are £154 new, so if it's more than that then no it isn't worth it.

Either would be about 20% faster than your 390.

3. mushtafa

Wise Guy

Thanks, the Fury X is £100.

Is the RX570 the modern equivalent of the 390x? Been out of the GPU world too long and finding it hard to compare with new ones.

4. Tute

Capodecina

Er, it's nowhere near a 570. It was the flagship of the previous generation so it's performance would be more like an RX590 or a GTX1660. It was pushed out to sit between the GTX980 and Ti, after all.

5. Armageus

Don

RX570 is slightly slower than a 390X
    390X is roughly equivalent to a RX580
    Fury X is roughly equivalent to a RX590 (although the Fury X only has 4GB VRAM which may be a factor), both of which are ~20% faster than a 390X

Personally I wouldn't touch the Fury X due to pump issues etc, and a second AIO in your case may be more of an issue.
    Cheap used RX570 or RX580 would be my choice, and then try and sell the 390X which would offset most of the cost

6. mushtafa

Wise Guy

Thanks for the info. What problems did the AIO pump suffer with? I'll do some searching

7. Finners

Wise Guy

Noise and failure mostly.

I can't really recommend a 4gb card in 2020. It's a limit some games will hit and cause you problems that you cannot circumvent.

If you don't run out of vram you can always lower settings and resolution to carry on playing but once you hit that limit there's not much you can do.

8. FredFlint

Wise Guy

I have just upgraded from a Fury X, it was a great card, always cool. The pump noise was not loud but it was noticeable and the same idle or under load, some people made it into a big issue. overall it was quieter than a triple fan card under load but not at idle. I still have the Fury X in it's box, cannot be bothered to sell it. The Fury X still run's most games fine on high but the 4GB VRam is starting to hurt.

9. JediFragger

Capodecina

It was pushed out alright!!

:D

10. doody

Gangster

loved my The Fury X sad to see it go my pulse 5700xt is a good upgrade;):)

11. mushtafa

Wise Guy

The seller who is local to myself refused to show me it working as he didn't want to reinstall it.

I asked him if he mind delivering it me, and I'd install and test it while he was here, he declined.

Now he wants to put it on eBay as he thinks he'll get more for it!

Oh well, never mind

12. CuriousTomCat

Hitman

The improvement is 20% therefore not worth it.

Surely everyone knows an extra 20% is pathetic. How many supermarkets entise you in by saying 20% extra? It's always Buy one get one free or a half price sale. I'm aiming for a 50% improvment as am absolute minimum when I replace my Vega 56.

13. Relentless81

Capodecina

Old AIO and only 4GB of RAM

I would pass personally

Try for a Vega 56 they aren't much more and are good cards for the money

14. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Had one from new, pump died found performance poor, pleased i got some money back after a year of ownership.

Card was **** back then let alone now.

15. Gray2233

Wise Guy

If the main issue you're having with the 390X is temps related, given the age I'm guessing it could do with a good clean and a reapplication of thermal paste.

Give that a go and see what the temps are like, even if it doesn't work it's a half hour of work at best and could save you a few hundred quid.

16. mushtafa

Wise Guy

Done that, made no difference.

I've cut a hole in the side window, temps sitting at 80 now! Will do for the time being

17. Kelt

Capodecina

A 4GB card in 2020?

Nah, give it a miss.

18. bru

Soldato

So he won't let you see it running?
    Definitely a hard pass if that is the case.

19. mushtafa

Wise Guy

Correct. I polity declined

20. Panos

Capodecina

Activate HBCC if still an option on the drivers, as it was few years ago.
    FuryX supports memory compression, you shouldn't have issues tbh except on really horribly optimized games.
    Also make sure it has the UEFI bios not the original one. It would improve performance and overclocking.