• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX-55 v X2 4200+

Soldato
Currently have an X2 4200+. Considering swapping it for an FX-55 ( not sure if its a san diego or not )

Im assuming i could get it up the 3Ghz, so will a 3Ghz FX-55 be quicker than a 2.6Ghz X2?

Caporegime
naffa said:
Stick with the 4200+ ;).

If anything upgrade to a 4400X2.. but stepping back to a single core would not be wise.

Completely agreed, don't go backwards.

Your 4200+ at 2.75ghz is a stonking chip! The FX-55 will be no better if its a clawhammer, if its a SD it'll be good for around 3Ghz, which is marginally faster in games, but you lose a whole second core.

If you want a good single core CPU flog your 4200, bug a nice stepping Opteron 146 and pocket £150 :D

Soldato
I have a fx55 clawhammer overclocked to 2.78, the temps hasnt really increased at all from the stock speed temps, but it wont go any faster then 2.78 :confused:

How much of a bottleneck will I have, cos im planning to buy the fastest 3d card thats out in the next few months? I guess it will be a next gen card that I buy.

Soldato
will games run nice and smooth for another year or so before I need to upgrade the cpu? Im planning to get the dell 2407 after the 3dcard upgrade

Associate
I've had my trusty SD 55 running at 3ghz before, not a bother on her. I'll be switching to Conroe (probably) when it's released though. It'll be a sad day when the FX-55 goes..we've had some good times. :(

Yeah, I really need to get out more. :D

Back
Top Bottom