Fyre festival

Soldato

Watched this last night on Netflix, it's hilarious.

Basically, a load of fraudsters attempt to setup an 'exclusive' music festival on an island in the Bahamas, enticing lots of rich children to go and see bands like 'Blink 182', the reality turns out to be something quite different...

Soldato
Watched this at weekend, strangely had little sympathy for anyone suckered in. I think because it was all driven from social media BS and folks aspiring to be the same that it just annoyed me.

Caporegime
I think that's the intention, my mate who is VP of Vice put this on Facebook:

Thanks to everyone thats supported the new VICE Studios doc on Netflix. If you haven't seen it yet imagine an art installation where mediocre people realise what life would be like without their rich parents. They get scammed, live like refugees and go through intense mental suffering!
It will light you up with joy :0) xx

Soldato
OP
The only people I had sympathy for, were the labourers and workers who all tried to build it, with zero time - and ended up not getting paid, that was very bad.

The rest of it, including all celebrity and online-wannabes, I have no sympathy for,

Associate
watched this last night , what the hell were they thinking !!!! lol that guy who was second in command who kept comparing it to Woodstock ! woodstock was $18 for the 3 days

Caporegime
Yeah I watched it last night, I remember the social media buzz as it happened but didn't really know about the build up or anything about what followed afterwards. Was very interesting.

Caporegime
I remember the news stories from when it happened so kind of already aware of the background to it, would be cool to watch though. It wasn't just a festival it was part of a start up and was supposed to be to promote a music related app.

Also interesting reading - the pitch deck was obtained by Vanity Fair a couple of years ago:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/fyre-festival-pitch-deck

There is another documentary from Hulu that is supposed to be better. In particular this documentary from Netflix is potentially a bit shady as one of the production companies behind it was involved in the festival themselves, did they declare that in the documentary?

Rumour has it they were complicit in deleting various legit questions on social media before the festival started too.

This might also be of interest to people:

https://pagesix.com/2019/01/17/ex-jerry-media-employee-oren-aks-moved-abroad-after-fyre-festival/

Caporegime
The Hulu documentary paid the organiser (who is in prison) between $100,000 and $250,000

Vice/Netflix refused to do so.

Was the organiser involved in producing the documentary? Was the Hulu documentary not critical of him?

Paying someone for an interview and some of the footage they had is a bit different to having someone involved in the production of a documentary.

FWIW they have denied the 250k payment claim.

Associate
I don't know, watching this, I kinda had no sympathy for anyone involved.
Kind of summed the ********* generation up in a nutshell for me, celebrity/instagram obsession...which is actually quite hollow in real life?

Soldato
I don't know, watching this, I kinda had no sympathy for anyone involved.
Kind of summed the ********* generation up in a nutshell for me, celebrity/instagram obsession...which is actually quite hollow in real life?

Yeah it's hard to have sympathy for most of the self entitled folks living off mummy and daddys money in this.

While i'm sure a lot of regular everyday folk got burned, the majority probably fit into my sweeping generalisation above. ;)

Back
Top Bottom