G.Fast 50m to 200m Estimated Live Checker

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Hmm I have no idea what my line length is! I connect at the full 79999 now but according to a line length checker I am 5051m away from the exchange! The bt checker does not list g.fast for me but my vdsl range clean is 80 high 67 low. So I guess I will get 150mb ish when it does arrive. Though some more googling suggests because I get the full 80mb my line must be sub 300m
My line is ~550m and i get the full 80/20, it really isnt as simple as distance/speed. I cant imagine i will ever get g.fast over my line despite the decent vdsl rate. Hope i'm wrong (if we haven't moved by then anyway).

Soldato
Stupid trial areas. I've lived in 4 or 5 locations in the south east over the last 10 years and Openreach have never carried out technology trials in my area.

Soldato
Current Rate (Kbps) 19999 76515
Max Rate (Kbps) 29084 78019
Sync/IP Profile is 73.98 Mbps

I've been told that the line is actually fairly good for the distance involved.

Cool, thanks. I thought our lines were about the same length but your down sync rate is 20mbit better than mine so I don't have a hope in hell of getting G.Fast :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Surely it is fairly safe to say that if you are not getting a full rate VDSL2 sync then you stand no chance. I wouldn't even expect anything from this technology despite a full rate sync.

Associate
Cool, thanks. I thought our lines were about the same length but your down sync rate is 20mbit better than mine so I don't have a hope in hell of getting G.Fast :(

Are you using the BT Home/Smart Hub? (They're kinda if'y due to the max 2 week restart from BT central which on certain lines DC's you instead of holding the line and resetting the connection, which DLM may rag you over, giving you an ever decreasing speed limit) - Use a third party device if possible instead. I have temporarily switched over to a TP Linke W9970 on recommendation for now, it has kept things smooth.
Any extensions within household? (Minimise noise which might impact your speed, etc)
Might be nothing, but have you checked voice line for noise? 17070 option 2? If there is noise (other than very quiet modem like noises and screeches) you should get BT/whoever you're with to get that sorted. Could help a little. And every little helps. (I went through 2 years of slowly battling each small section of issue until recently when everything was fixed and I got my speeds back).
If you can check for Errors on your line (normally not with the BT Hubs, but with third party devices), have a gander and see if they're a bit high, would normally denote an issue somewhere that needs fixing (which again, may improve your line).

Further info in case anyone else wants to do a rough comparison on stats (but as Jez has shown, that line length isn't everything, the quality of the line is also as important):

SNR Margin (dB)
15.5 6.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 17.7 9.8

Associate
Surely it is fairly safe to say that if you are not getting a full rate VDSL2 sync then you stand no chance. I wouldn't even expect anything from this technology despite a full rate sync.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the households at our distance and connection speeds should not expect any real change. However, since we don't know how each households line holds up (I mean, technically I have a shorter line than yours, but you have a higher download speed than I do), some may find an increase on their lines with G.Fast, whilst others find no increase at all.

And if minimal speed guarantees are maintained, then on ordering for one, and not finding any increase in first 14 days, should let you off the hook from a G.Fast order anyway. So there's no real loss in ordering it and seeing if there's any increase at all. Just don't expect any massive increase for the price involved; on the off chance you do get an increase (also expect the price to have increased for the G.Fast order and contract).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think it's safe to say at this point that the households at our distance and connection speeds should not expect any real change. However, since we don't know how each households line holds up (I mean, technically I have a shorter line than yours, but you have a higher download speed than I do), some may find an increase on their lines with G.Fast, whilst others find no increase at all.

And if minimal speed guarantees are maintained, then on ordering for one, and not finding any increase in first 14 days, should let you off the hook from a G.Fast order anyway. So there's no real loss in ordering it and seeing if there's any increase at all. Just don't expect any massive increase for the price involved; on the off chance you do get an increase (also expect the price to have increased for the G.Fast order and contract).

Indeed, i would certainly order should it become available. It is vectored too, perhaps that would at least see an improvement over existing FTTC?

Associate
Just noticed that darknite was quoting an exchange and not a cabinet distance. That would change things. Jez and I are talking about Cabinet distance and therefore in most cases much shorter line distance.

Back
Top Bottom