GA-X99M-Gaming 5 won't power on

Associate
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I have a GA-X99M-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) that refuses to turn on any more. It was working just fine, but now the best it does is flash the onboard power button orange and let out a weak beep every second.

I've confirmed the PSU is good with another system and also tried a 2nd known good PSU and the result is the same (although the beep only happens every 2 seconds with that weaker PSU).

The behaviour is the same no matter what is plugged into the board. I've tried removing everything from it in turn all the way down to just the required ATX power cables. 2, 1 and zero sticks of RAM make no change either.

I have:
  1. Tried BIOS 1 and 2 in both single and dual mode using the onboard switches.
  2. Reset the BIOS (with power not just off but physically unplugged).
  3. Then tried all the above again.
  4. No fans spinning that are plugged into the board.
  5. Nothing displays on the error LED in the corner – no life from that at all.
Does anyone else have any other ideas please?

Thanks!

Ref: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99M-Gaming-5-rev-10

Funny I've just had the multimeter out trying to diagnose exactly the same fault on an Asus X99 board.

I've followed the same steps as you, and I've found a single p-channel FET by the PCIe slots that's getting incredibly hot. I've ordered a replacement component from China, but I'm pretty sure this is another X99 board for the scrap heap...

Associate
OP
BIOS battery out for 45 minutes (because food) and no change in behaviour.

I don't have a multimeter and wouldn't know what to do with one even if I did. Likewise, I'm not going to be soldering anything off the board so...

Any other ideas, anyone? Otherwise, I guess I'll be asking if anyone has an X99 they want to sell :D

Back
Top Bottom