Gabe Newell AMA tomorrow

Soldato
Who should dictate what games are on the platform?

If something is ****, I want to be the judge of that. I do not want a curated store with games other people think are "OK".

We all have a brain.

Soldato
The real problem with it though isn't that the games are just bad, its that they are down right broken or use straight up stolen content. Yet steam just lets them on their store regardless? Something needs to be done because it really has gotten that bad.

Make refunds part of the review stats.

Soldato
Would sure be nice if at least Gabe would say

"HL Episode 3 nor HL3 are currently in development and we have no idea if it ever will be. If it ever is, and reaches stage at which we are comfortable talking about it, we will."

Associate
Who should dictate what games are on the platform?

If something is ****, I want to be the judge of that. I do not want a curated store with games other people think are "OK".

We all have a brain.

I'm not talking about subjectively bad games, i'm talking about buggy and broken messes that are put on the store by crooked devs to cash in. They have absolutely no business being on the steam store.

Associate
Would sure be nice if at least Gabe would say

"HL Episode 3 nor HL3 are currently in development and we have no idea if it ever will be. If it ever is, and reaches stage at which we are comfortable talking about it, we will."

how is that any different from the situation we're currently in though? It just means people will keep asking them "comfortable talking about it yet?!"

Soldato
Why is your client bloated with pointless features.
Why is your store full of crap.
Why is your store so expensive.
Why is your a customer service still beyond bad even after all the years of complaints.
Why do you find all the above acceptable.

How have you managed to get so many fan boys to have the attitude that steam is the almighty and they won't buy games if they aren't on there.

Caporegime
You know considering the companies ethos, if most people simply didn't want to do customer service, then it doesn't get done nearly as well is it should and the hiring practice into that company are very niche.

So i think the answer to all the bad things about the consumer end of Steam are because they run themselves like a playground with nary a care, because there's plenty of cash coming in.

Associate
You know considering the companies ethos, if most people simply didn't want to do customer service, then it doesn't get done nearly as well is it should and the hiring practice into that company are very niche.

So i think the answer to all the bad things about the consumer end of Steam are because they run themselves like a playground with nary a care, because there's plenty of cash coming in.

honestly i wish they would just outsource it. It's not like there isn't a huge number of companies that would love to take over the customer service side. It wouldn't even cost them that much. Then they get to keep their company ethos and also serve customers better.

Associate
I think the problem with HL3 is how hard it is to do something truly innovative and original these days and everyone would be disappointed with a generic sequel.
I don't think that would be a problem if they actually wanted to make HL3. They already confirmed that HL and Portal are in the same universe, so if they give us a HL game where you can have both the portal gun and gravity gun that would be enough innovation for me.

HL2 and its episodes still have better physics and facial animation than most games released today, so imagine what they could do in HL3 (simultaneous motion capture on both face and body for all characters - has that been done in a game yet?). Also if HL3 was announced as a VR game that would be all the incentive I need to invest in VR gear.

I think if they get to 10 years since EP2 and still have no plans to develop the series further, they should sell the intellectual property and let another developer give the fans what they want, although I could see that going horribly wrong if it's given to the wrong developer.

Soldato
I'm not talking about subjectively bad games, i'm talking about buggy and broken messes that are put on the store by crooked devs to cash in. They have absolutely no business being on the steam store.

Don't forget all the hentai games that I can't seem to filter out of my recommendations despite adding their tags to my "less of this ****" list. I don't want to do weird sex games with cartoon criminal girls who definitely look under age.

Soldato
I'd like to know if there's plans to optimise Steam for use on touch screens, as at present it is bloody awful. I usually load up Big Picture mode instead as it's slightly less crap.

Soldato
Even if it was the same standard as Episode 2 I would be happy.

The game was immensley playable. But must admit I remember
Alex's dad dying at the end.
But apart from that no idea of the story now...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom