• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward 7900GS Fan Control

Soldato
Hi all,

A bit before christmas I picked myself up a Gainward BLISS GeForce 7900 GS, which has been running very nicely except for one thing: I can't get control of the fan!

To explain, the following scenarios happen:

1) Boot windows. Fan speed low/quiet.
2) Check email, browse web, fan stays low.
3) Launch game, fan speeds up, GPU temp never above 55 C.
4) Exit game, fan does not slow down.
5) An hour later, fan still on high speed.
6) Reboot system, fan finally quiets down... until the next game is launched.

Not quite what I'd hoped for from a 'silent' card! Don't get me wrong, it's not ultra loud, but it's loud enough that if I'm not gaming, I notice it and wish it would shut up.

I've tried Gainward's XperTool, RivaTuner, and nVidia's control panel wotzit. Only the last has had any success with throttling the fan back - for about 10 mins, then fshhhweeeee... it's up there at full speed again. I've got the latest drivers, but have tried them as far back as they go until the card stops being recognised. Nothing has made any difference.

Is it possibly related to having a motherboard that nVidia's control panel doesn't like (some dodgy Via 890 job)? If I misclick for motherboard settings, the app bombs out, which probably isn't a good sign =(

Obviously there is some hope, since nVidia's software *can* make some difference, even if it's only temporary... but does anyone know where my aural salvation may lie? I'd rather fix with software than by getting a new cooler, as it'd be nice to keep my warranty intact. Might it even be RMA time?

Thanks!

Eddie

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the reply buddy, least it's not just my particular card being awkward :)

Maybe we'll be lucky and the next nvidia drivers will fix it...

Soldato
OP
Sean_UK said:
The fan makes hardly any noise as it is, why so botherd? :confused: :)

It's all a matter of personal opinion, tbh. Operating noise tolerance varies, person to person - I guess I'm just at the 'shh dammit!' end of the scale =)

At full fan speed, the graphics card is the loudest thing in my PC - by a long way - and it's quite noticable above the other noises. I just find it annoying that a card promising 'silent' operation has a blatant bug in drivers and/or BIOS which prevents it from spinning the fan down to minimum speed in 2D mode, and is thus not silent. Seriously wishing I'd waited a month and got a 1950 Pro instead =(

Back
Top Bottom