**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Only just worked out that teaser pic by reading an article.

It is the home button of the device (tablet), and the top of the tablet is 'towards' the camera out of shot. The two horizontal lines are the bottom bezel.

Soldato
If its on the back I won't be getting one. Going from rear scanner to front facing, the front makes so much more sense.

It's fine on the back unless you have a job where your phone is sat on your desk and you check it a lot.
It's the position on the back which is the issue

HAz

HAz

Soldato
What about iris scanner? That could be the primary means of unlocking, hence finger print on back. I found the iris scanner worked really well on my note 7, I've always got damaged skin on my fingers because of my job, so the iris scanner worked 99% of time when the finger print wouldn't.

Soldato
What about iris scanner? That could be the primary means of unlocking, hence finger print on back. I found the iris scanner worked really well on my note 7, I've always got damaged skin on my fingers because of my job, so the iris scanner worked 99% of time when the finger print wouldn't.

Oooo yes! That would certainly bring me back if it works... And if it worked in the Note then hopefully will be in the S8

Associate

Good idea. That would interest me as finger print scanners do not work at all. My job wears them down and can very occasionally manage to register a print but then never work. To be honest entering a pin or pattern can be a pain.

Associate
I'd be happy using the Iris scanner if it works with Google Pay, its my most used feature on my S6.

Don't often use my bank cards anymore. :)

Soldato
yep, needs to be on the front for me , but saying that since having the smart watch paired to the phone I don't use it much as its set to auto authenticate me when near.

Man of Honour
For those of you pinning hopes on the iris scanner, wouldn't holding your phone up to your face to unlock it all the time grow tiresome?

For example when reaching for your phone on the table, instead of placing a finger on the front you'll have to get your eyes(face) in direct view of the camera.
Will just forever look like you're about to take a selfie.

Soldato
Why are Samsung bothering with this "bixby" thing ? Why don't they use Google assistant which is already there and works very well for the most part? I don't get it...

Soldato
For those of you pinning hopes on the iris scanner, wouldn't holding your phone up to your face to unlock it all the time grow tiresome?

For example when reaching for your phone on the table, instead of placing a finger on the front you'll have to get your eyes(face) in direct view of the camera.
Will just forever look like you're about to take a selfie.

Times like that it is true that it would be handy to have a fingerprint scanner on the front. Then again, I'm not sure how many times I actually unlock it on the desk and continue using it there, I think more often than not I'd probably end up picking it up within a few seconds if there's actually anything to do on it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Assistant isn't as advanced as Bixby supposedly is. You can talk to it like a person, and show Bixby objects via the camera, and it can pull up things based on the context of what you ask it and such like. It's also said to be intertwined into a lot of other aspects of the phone whereas Google Assistant is not.

Back
Top Bottom