**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
kitch9;30485475 said:
Sony won't put their best sensors in their phones inexplicably, and if they did it would be nerfed with super blurry software processing that can't be switched off.

This.

With Sony phones when you first get one you take a photo and go WOW that's awesome. Then you look closer and all is not what it seems. Then you use it in the real world and just give up and buy a Samsung :p

Caporegime
If there is going to be a phone with a removable battery, microSD, that camera sensor and a decent UI - I am sold. Come on Note 8!!!

Soldato
I have to say, it's a no-purchase from me if the fingerprint scanner is where the renders show it. Firstly being next to the camera means I'll smudge the lens constantly, plus my phone lives flat on my desk at work so having to pick it up to use is going to be annoying AF!

Soldato
Princey;30486567 said:
How awful are we talking on your S6? I get a full day from mine with 4-5hours screen on time.

I usually have to charge mine several times a day and i'm not a heavy user, when at work i pretty much just leave it plugged in now. It seems that once it hits about 50% it dies really really quickly

Caporegime
Also, with the camera lens and the FPS being flush with the rest of the device, that just makes it even worse, you will have no way of being able to tell what you are touching, greasy/smudgy camera lens galore here you come! :p

Caporegime
Batteries small
Bad fingerprint scanner
Beautiful

Will stick with s7 edge.. Except, as before, camera is massive real world upgrade

Man of Honour
It is more efficient. We're going from a 14nm SoC to 10nm, that's a huge reduction in packaging. Less heat generated, lower power consumption, more efficient and more features thrown in at the same time.

I'm confident all 10nm SoCs from Samsung/Qualcomm and MediaTek (when they get round to theirs...) will follow the same efficiency = power trend.

Soldato
mrk;30488396 said:
It is more efficient. We're going from a 14nm SoC to 10nm, that's a huge reduction in packaging. Less heat generated, lower power consumption, more efficient and more features thrown in at the same time.

I'm confident all 10nm SoCs from Samsung/Qualcomm and MediaTek (when they get round to theirs...) will follow the same efficiency = power trend.

But screen-on time will still be the biggest drain by far, no matter how many improvements they've made to the screen technology.

Judging by the rumours (dangerous I know) this isn't shaping up to be a great phone. Potentially poor in 3 areas before we've even seen the thing powered up. Poor fingerprint sensor placement, poor to middling battery (in terms of rumoured capacity) and terrible ergonomics.

They've got a lot of convincing to do yet. I have to say on the basis of the rumours I'm moving towards the LG G6, even with the previous gen CPU, or even just sticking with my N6P.

Caporegime
this_is_gav;30488610 said:
But screen-on time will still be the biggest drain by far, no matter how many improvements they've made to the screen technology.

Judging by the rumours (dangerous I know) this isn't shaping up to be a great phone. Potentially poor in 3 areas before we've even seen the thing powered up. Poor fingerprint sensor placement, poor to middling battery (in terms of rumoured capacity) and terrible ergonomics.

They've got a lot of convincing to do yet. I have to say on the basis of the rumours I'm moving towards the LG G6, even with the previous gen CPU, or even just sticking with my N6P.

Agreed. Screen on time dwarfs ensuring else!

Man of Honour
A lot of other factors attribute to screen on time other than just the screen on time itself.

We have been through this in many threads before, and I still don't understand why people are so hell bent on screen on time figures when it's meaningless outside of controlled conditions for every device that particular thing is being tested for.

One person's 6hrs SoT is not going to be the same for someone else on the same phone, but in a different city, on a different network, with different app configurations.

Back
Top Bottom