Gallery Software

Soldato
Hi all,

I know I could have posted this in the HTML area but wanted the opinions of photographers.

If you have a website, what gallery software do you use?

I am creating my website and want a large image display on the main page that moves from one image to another, then I want a nice gallery software for the galleries and client areas.

Soldato
OP
You can use wordpress with plugins, very simple to code for as well...

Wordpress is good but I find trying to figure out who to customise is it harder than just coding from scratch. :(

I can't code so i pay someone to do it lol.

Just google my name :)

Yours was on of the first I checked out, and your home page has the sort of slideshow I want, but it doesn't say what it is :p lol

Associate
Two galleries worth trying;

http://gallery.menalto.com/
http://coppermine-gallery.net/

I've tried loads and I find that Coppermine is the best one for me (after tinkering with the options a bit) but the themes aren't too hot, so I end up customising the them beyond recognition.

Other than a dedicated gallery software you might want to try a content management system like Wordpress or Joomla and then installing a gallery addon to that. If you want a blog style site then Wordpress is perfect really.

In terms of installing all this, I'd get hosting that includes cpanel and a script installer like softaculous. That means you can install all of the above with a few simple clicks without having to worry about downloading and configuring anything, just a few clicks to set your own admin password, etc and they are installed for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are some in the sticky, but a popular version is some derivative of a lightbox system (of which there are hundreds) with a custom / wordpress integration.

Soldato
OP
I've managed to find an old list I made of galleries and software, now its just a case of trying them all out.

I've looked at Pixelpost before asim, but as a stand alone package I found it limiting as its purely a photography blog. I do like some of the sites I have seen using it though so I may try and integrate it in to another page. I am just not sure about its use in a business site.

Back
Top Bottom