Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Soldato
"Men would rather see the realm put to the torch...........................than see a woman ascend to the throne" - and I'm out.

Having this line as one of the few multi-line monologues in such a short trailer tells me the production wants to send a message and I understand that to be them saying "man bad, woman good" and I'm not willing to spend any of my limited free time taking the risk that this may start out well only to fall into this level of godawful writing once they've got your attention, which seems to be the way "modern" TV production works (bait and switch).

I was already ambivalent towards this just due to the last few season of GOT, which I only watched just to see how far it would fall rather from any sense of enjoyment, and it feels like this maybe using that low point in writing skill as the starting point in writing ability for this new series.

Obviously I recognise that this is just a teaser trailer and it genuinely would be lovely to be wrong about it and find that this is as well written as the first 4 seasons of GOT, especially as I like most of the actors I've seen in that trailer, but I think I'll wait until the end of the first season and see what the reviews are then before showing any further interest.

Soldato
Well written strong & empowered women are great whereas badly written strong & empowered women are crap and this series looks like it may be on the "badly written" side with lines that that.

Soldato
Why not just say well written TV is good badly written TV is bad….

Because my post was specifically in response to jcr's "too many empowered wamens" comment above, which felt like it was sarcasm aimed at my previous post. However you're right, badly written TV is bad.

Soldato
"Men would rather see the realm put to the torch...........................than see a woman ascend to the throne" - and I'm out.

Having this line as one of the few multi-line monologues in such a short trailer tells me the production wants to send a message and I understand that to be them saying "man bad, woman good" and I'm not willing to spend any of my limited free time taking the risk that this may start out well only to fall into this level of godawful writing once they've got your attention, which seems to be the way "modern" TV production works (bait and switch).

I was already ambivalent towards this just due to the last few season of GOT, which I only watched just to see how far it would fall rather from any sense of enjoyment, and it feels like this maybe using that low point in writing skill as the starting point in writing ability for this new series.

Obviously I recognise that this is just a teaser trailer and it genuinely would be lovely to be wrong about it and find that this is as well written as the first 4 seasons of GOT, especially as I like most of the actors I've seen in that trailer, but I think I'll wait until the end of the first season and see what the reviews are then before showing any further interest.

No surprise that HOD is taking exactly the same path as amazon's WOT debacle and the Tolkien fan-fic. A diverse Mary-Sue fest, with all men bad, incompetent, or background caratchers.

These shows are going to get to eviscerated on release in the wake of WOT which made zero impact and is already irrelevant, and Witcher S2 which made Geralt a background carachter in the his show, made to run around after endless annoying fems. What a complete yawn that was, and then of course the Bobba Fett and Obi Wan bait and Switches...

Same ***** different name slapped on it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
What a lot of us don't understand is that 90% of TV isn't aimed at anyone with a vaguely critical eye or anyone who appreciates well written and directed media. Its directed at the masses, quite often the young who are easily bought with flashy visuals and massaging that they like.

I was watching some LotR snippets the other day and its still amazing and holds up. That naturally lead to having some Hobbit scenes suggested to watch again. It was laughably bad and even worse than I remember. The comments were absolutely bizarre. I could only imagine that the people writing them were about 12. They lapped it up. Loved the badly done, ridiculous and over the top action scenes and the awful comedy.

It then struck me that they didn't make that film for Tolkien fans, they made it for kids.

The meme generation laps up anything quotable that they can latch onto and share with their mates. Anything that they can think is deep. Its the bread and butter of Marvel films now. "Look, its that thing from that other thing". References are king.

The good thing is that there is still interesting stuff being made, its just a bit harder to find and the chances are good that anything you love will be **** upon from a great height if it ever gets revisited or adapted.

Soldato

Written after the first Teaser and still my opinion now having watched the first trailer.

My guess is that it'll have great production values (locations/sets/costumes etc), some good CGI, some hopefully good acting from some of the more well known cast and yet I think all of it will be for nothing because the script/story given by the trailers/teasers so far looks to be reductive crap "man doesn't want woman (probably LGBT?) to get throne, fight breaks out, woman gets throne anyway along with (maybe) a new wife because of course she does" with no twists & turns, no subverting of expectations (because all women must win all the time nowadays and all men are bad/thick/silly) and no passion behind the writing, at least absolutely nowhere near the writing of GoT S1-4 levels and the people that speak out will, yet again be unironically called -ists and -phobes etc.

God it's all so boringly predictable and yet I still hope I'm 100% wrong.

Soldato
"House of the Dragon's showrunners have also sought to right some of Game of Thrones' original sins—namely, its lack of diversity and its shoddy treatment of female characters. For the first time ever, female characters are at the forefront of the show, and the story plans to confront gender inequities head-on"

Caporegime
Have I walked into the Rings of Power thread? Am sure Critical Drinker will do a good video on this, they seem to have ignored their **** writing in this revelation.

Soldato
I'm just wondering what game of thrones they watched - pretty sure it was chock full of strong, pivotal female characters.

I know, what an utterly daft thing to say - "For the first time ever, female characters are at the forefront of the show" - I mean here's a list of Female GoT characters who I would say were at the forefront of GoT i.e, main cast with lots of screen time over multiple seasons who directly influenced the series outcome:

Dany
Cersi
Sansa
Arya
Brienne
Catelyn Stark
Margaery Tyrell

All followed by dozens of "lesser" female characters who, again, were very important to the story but were more limited in screen time i.e. only 1-2 seasons, maybe just a few episodes etc. It's writing like that which makes me 99% sure this will be a flop after the first 2-3 episodes as, despite getting a big opening, as people will want to see how it is and the press happily promotes its 1st episode success, that once that garbage writing shows it's head I suspect people will leave in droves.

Back
Top Bottom