*** Game Pass Recommendations Thread ***

Man of Honour
With the large quantity of decent-to-great games available on Game Pass I'm finding discovery of new games and genres a bit of a minefield. Finding great coop games is particularly tricky and should be an area where Game Pass really shines.

So I thought why not have a thread where we post our personal recommendations, with bonus points if they're relatively unknown games that are likely to be hidden amongst the juggernauts/noise on Game Pass.

Format:
Game:
Players:
Description:
Play if you like:

I'll start off with three single player games that I'm currently playing, and three great coop experiences.

---

Game:
Superhot Mind Control Delete

Players:

Description:
A (kind of) turn-based FPS game with some really interesting mechanics. Time only moves when you do and you can deflect bullets with Katanas, swap bodies with opponents, use objects around the levels in combat. It's short and never outstays its welcome.

Play if you like:
Puzzle games, FPS games with a twist, the first Superhot, strategic thinking with time pressure.

---

Game:
Cyber Shadow

Players:

Description:
It's a great example of your typical 12-bit/8-bit+ platformer. It does little new but what it does, it does so well. Banging soundtrack and tight controls.

Play if you like:
Shovel Knight, 12-bit/8-bit+ challenging platformers.

---

Game:
Desperados III

Players:

Description:
A Western themed Real-Time Stealth Tactics game. You progress through a story solving puzzles by controlling a few units against many enemies at a time in a wide range of environments with multiple solutions.

Play if you like:
Real-time puzzles, RTS micromanagement, Stealth games, strategic thinking with time pressure.

---

Game:
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan

Players:
2 (coop)

Description:
A psychological horror game in a choose your own adventure style. You try to save as many of the 6 main characters as possible throughout a pretty interesting adventure. This really has to be played in 2 player coop on different consoles to get the most out of it, local play and single player is a very poor experience in comparison.

Play if you like:
Horror games, blaming your friends for messing up and permanently killing a member of your team, ruining friendships, interesting gameplay twists

---

Game:
A Way Out

Players:
2 (coop)

Description:
A prison-break inspired game that can only be played in coop. It's straightforward and not challenging, but I had a really great coop experience going through the interesting story, plot and gameplay twists, and getting to know the personalities, flaws, and motivations of the two main characters.

Play if you like:
Coop experiences that are not too challenging, asynchronous coop experiences, a decent story and good characters in your games, short games with no filler

---

Game:
Deep Rock Galactic

Players:
4 (coop)

Description:
An FPS/mining coop game with great mechanics, gameplay diversity, replayability, genuine cooperation, and charm.

Play if you like:
Losing friends, abandoning friends, stealing ammo packs, getting your friends killed, luring enemies to unsuspecting friends who are trying to complete the objective, blaming others for the team losing

---

Last edited:
Associate
Game: Overcooked 2
Players: 1-4
Description: Work as a team to plate up and serve meals in a kitchen
Play if you like: Getting divorced. This game requires teamwork and communication. Oddly my two teenage daughters, who cannot stand each other, get on fantastic playing this together.

Soldato
Game: Street of Rage 4
Players: 2 online co-op, 3 local co-op
Description: Modern take on classic walk along beat em ups like Final Fight/Streets of Rage. Doesn't feel dated and looks and plays great. A top example of why Gamepass is the nuts. I wouldn't have played SoR4 otherwise and it's excellent.
Play if you like: Teaming up with a buddy or two and smashing thugs in the face

Game:
Wasteland 3
Players: 1-2 (co-op)
Description: Post apocalyptic, isometric RPG with turnbased combat. Top writing, funny, twisted with an excellently realised gameworld.
Play if you like: RPGs. Especially if you like old skool Fallout. I had sex with a goat for a buff.

Man of Honour
OP
Game: Street of Rage 4
Players: 2 online co-op, 3 local co-op
Description: Modern take on classic walk along beat em ups like Final Fight/Streets of Rage. Doesn't feel dated and looks and plays great. A top example of why Gamepass is the nuts. I wouldn't have played SoR4 otherwise and it's excellent.
Play if you like: Teaming up with a buddy or two and smashing thugs in the face

Game:
Wasteland 3
Description: Post apocalyptic, isometric RPG with turnbased combat. Top writing, funny, twisted with an excellently realised gameworld.
Play if you like: RPGs. Especially if you like old skool Fallout. I had sex with a goat for a buff.

I was keen on Wasteland until I heard it's designed for drop in/drop out coop. What are your thoughts about playing it entirely in coop?

Man of Honour
OP
Game: Journey to the Savage Planet
Description: A relatively simple and whimsical FPS Metroidvania that is greatly enhanced by slapping your mate in coop and never outstays its welcome.
Play if you like: 3D Metroid games but you wish there was a little less fighting enemies and a little more arguing with friends.

Soldato
I was keen on Wasteland until I heard it's designed for drop in/drop out coop. What are your thoughts about playing it entirely in coop?

I haven't tried it. I'm a big co-op fan but co-op in this kind of game doesn't appeal. Much of the fun is taking your time reading stuff, tinkering with builds, basically doing what you want to do.

Soldato
Game: Journey to the Savage Planet
Description: A relatively simple and whimsical FPS Metroidvania that is greatly enhanced by slapping your mate in coop and never outstays its welcome.
Play if you like: 3D Metroid games but you wish there was a little less fighting enemies and a little more arguing with friends.

I have this on Stadia.

Man of Honour
OP
Alan Wake is leaving Game Pass on 15 May 2021.
I highly recommend this story driven psychological thriller, and as it's about 10-12 hours long it should be possible to complete before the game leaves Game Pass.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is being added on 4 April 2021.
This has been on my wish list for the Switch due to its great reviews and DQ11 being superb (also on Game Pass), so I look forward to giving this a go. I'll be avoiding all of the Minecraft style construction junk of course.

Soldato
12 minutes is pretty decent. Point and click adventure type game where you need to learn as much as you can before dying / resetting back to the start.

Man of Honour
OP
Psychonauts 2 is superb, I'm really enjoying playing a platformer again with great humour.

Soldato
Game: Octopath Traveler
Players: One
Description: JRPG style with turn based action, you follow the story of 8 protagonists (you don't need to complete it 8 times!) A blessing and a criticism I suppose - not too complicated or deep so is easy to pick back up where you left off if you haven't played it for a week or two.
Play if you like: Classic final fantasy games 1 - 6

Soldato
It takes two is fantastic, been playing it with my lad. The level design and variety is seriously impressive, not too difficult either so you can casually just enjoy the game and co-op experience.

Soldato
Played Unpacking at the weekend, quite a mindless game. Pixel art is nicely done. Really not much point to it but something about it made me get hooked on it

Soldato
I thought I'd replied in here already but apparently not! So..

The Artful Escape
1 Player
Description: Erm, A sort of platformer where you play sick guitar riffs. Sounds a bit naff but is wonderful to play. It looks gorgeous in parts and is very funny.
Play of you like: Just having a chilled time.

Flynn: Son of Crimson
1 player
A MetroidVania lite 2d platformer.
Play if you like: old school 2d platform games.

The Messenger
1 player
Another Metroidvania game. This time with NES graphics and a cool soundtrack. There's a nice twist halfway through the game which I won't spoil but it did make me think "what a brilliant idea".
Play if you like MetroidVania games.

Top Bottom