Game store - why are they so bad

Permabanned
Just went to buy a Nintendo switch from game and the were only selling it as a bundle with games and ton of accessories I didn't want... Coming in at nearlly £400

I have two stores and so went to both. First one said if I sell it on its own I'll get a discaplinary. Ok didn't need to know that but whatever.

I went to the other store as it's bigger and may have more in. Nope. Except this one tells me straight to my face that Nintendo has made it mandatory for them to sell AT LEAST 3 items with the console. I don't understand why they would do that.... Especially when the accessories that were bundled wernt even official Nintendo accessories but one made by / for game. Perhaps she was telling the truth but I can get it on its own on Amazon so why would I bother.

Just went to Argos and got it anyway. I don't understand why they think gamers would go for that crap when most are tech savvy and know it's a bad deal

Soldato
Hmmm can't speak for this directly but when I worked at a local indie game store at the PS3 launch, he was only given the consoles with the rule that it must be sold with one of a selection of first party games and maybe an accessory I'm not 100% sure this was like 10-12 years ago, I just remember so many ridge racers being instantly traded in to then use that toward something else

Soldato
It's like that around here too, never with a game or accessory you might actually want either. Even their second-hand games are often only a couple of quid cheaper than brand new.

In my opinion GAME are best avoided, the sooner they go out of business the better.

Soldato
Back in the distant past when I worked at Game at uni you were encouraged to push as many accessories as possible on a console purchase (no surprise, there is zero margin on the console itself). There were no hard rules though.

If stock is limited as it is with the Switch then I can understand why they'd make a commercial decision to not sell it on it's own. They make literally no money off it. Better to hang on to it to sell to someone that is going to buy some extras.

Permabanned
OP
Back in the distant past when I worked at Game at uni you were encouraged to push as many accessories as possible on a console purchase (no surprise, there is zero margin on the console itself). There were no hard rules though.

If stock is limited as it is with the Switch then I can understand why they'd make a commercial decision to not sell it on it's own. They make literally no money off it. Better to hang on to it to sell to someone that is going to buy some extras.

I understand that there is little to no margin on that but their bundles put the exact type of customer they need from shopping at their shop.

They didn't need to say 'nintendo force them to sell our own custom accessories.

Anyway.... It's no wonder the business is going the way they are going. No one will want to shop there if that's the way they wanna fleece the customers.

Soldato
Last time I went there which wasn't too long ago, a couple of months. I went to buy Mario maker for the Wii u. Baring in mind it's been out since 2014, a pre-owned copy was still £36.99 without the art book. Instead got it off Amazon with the book for £21. I just don't understand how they can compete, not only was it 15 quid cheaper I didn't even have to leave the house.

Associate
last thing I got from game was my xbox 360 when that first came out. not use them since and everything in the shop seems to be so over priced its unreal.

Man of Honour
I recently picked up a couple of play and charge kits for the xbox 360 from them. £10 for both and they work better than the official ones I have.

But for games... Naaah.

Associate
Hmmm can't speak for this directly but when I worked at a local indie game store at the PS3 launch, he was only given the consoles with the rule that it must be sold with one of a selection of first party games and maybe an accessory I'm not 100% sure this was like 10-12 years ago, I just remember so many ridge racers being instantly traded in to then use that toward something else

PS3 was kinda the same. The first wave was super limited stock in the UK. I had to pre order mine with 3 games and possibly an extra controller, was round about £500.

Soldato
Game in store also have terrible after sales services. Tried to return a brand new xbox one S with broken fan and they wouldn't take it. (Microsoft was great and replaced ASAP thankfully)

I hope the store goes under and I won't shop there again.

Soldato
Last things I bought from Game were a DS4 pad and a couple of lego games (batman and the hobbit).

Prices werent too bad to be fair. That was a couple of years ago. Last console I bought from game was a 360 bundle with a few games. Good price but it wasnt exactly a newly released console at the time. Think it was something like 2008. Guess I have been lucky. Never needed after sales support and prices I have paid have been reasonable. Perhaps that comes down to buying at the right time though (sales). Also I have not bought games from there because I knew I could get them cheaper elsewhere. I pick and choose based on the deals really.

The MM here has been the source of a fair few of my games and always at great prices. But even that has stopped now as I dont like the faff of discs so I buy everything digital! (Convenience comes at a price!) :p

Associate
The last thing I bought from Game was the Steam Link they had on sale and before that a PS3 many years ago after my first PS3 died. Never had a reason to shop there otherwise tbh

Soldato
Bought a ps4 pro and VR kit there, was advised to take up elite membership as I would get the £33 back due to the amount I was spending, got nowhere near the amount of points I should have and been back 3 times to sort it out, I'm still £10 down on the deal but had to give up on it as its starting to cost more in parking than what I'm owed

Soldato
I traded in my PS4 for the Pro recently but that's the only time I've bought anything from there in probably 8 years or more. It just makes me cringe to see full RRP price games. No-one else does this.

Associate
It's a tough one. I think they have their place, I've used them over the years for trade in's. If you use CEX to get the better price, they will beat it by £1 on games and I think they beat consoles on a percentage bases.

Certainly not the devil imo, but I would never just walk in and buy a game, what bugs me is their online prices differ.

Associate
I brought my switch from there a few months back, didnt really push too hard for accessories or games. I left with just the console as had credit with CEX.
They did try to push for accessories when i brought splatoon but they got denied

Soldato
Game are nowhere near as bad as most make them out to be.

I bought Switches from Game one at Launch (which I returned without any issues at all) and another a a month later. On both occasions I wasn't pushed to buy anything else just simply got the console. They've asked about me joining the VIP thing a couple of times since but it's not a reason to not go in. You get that at most stores of vary degrees anyway.

Back
Top Bottom