Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
FWIW With the PS5 I use a PlayStation Platinum Headset via USB to get 3D audio which isn't ideal. I can use my DAC/AMP if the game doesn't really demand 3D sound, but it is a massive shame Sony don't allow the passthrough of 3D audio via HDMI like MS do.

I've spent a lot of time recently looking at options trying to get a DAC/AMP hooked up via USB to Optical (i.e. using a PCM2704 or similar) and just came to the conclusion it isn't ideally ideal. The G6 is flat over USB with the PS5 (either as an optical bridge or directly) and has the 50% max volume issue that most DAC/AMPs have or had with PS5 & PS4. From what I've read the Schiit Hel 2 is said to be one of the few DAC/AMPs that can disregard the host volume as a UAC1 device. So in that sense the Hel 2 might be a very good purchase with PS5 in mind.

V F

V F

Soldato
Mines very simple and sounds amazing:

SoundblasterX AE-5

Beyerdynamics DT990 250ohm stereo headphones

ModMic 4 for Comms (plugged into a Sabrent USB soundcard) becu for some reason the mod mic always has background noise when used with a 3.5mm audio input, no idea why but everyone has the same problem and the Sabrent USB sound card fixes it.

Positional audio and soundstage in games is very very good and being 250ohm the sound is very 'full'.
While old post, the ModMic makes a huge difference connected to a mixer through XLR.

Soldato
OP
FWIW With the PS5 I use a PlayStation Platinum Headset via USB to get 3D audio which isn't ideal. I can use my DAC/AMP if the game doesn't really demand 3D sound, but it is a massive shame Sony don't allow the passthrough of 3D audio via HDMI like MS do.

I've spent a lot of time recently looking at options trying to get a DAC/AMP hooked up via USB to Optical (i.e. using a PCM2704 or similar) and just came to the conclusion it isn't ideally ideal. The G6 is flat over USB with the PS5 (either as an optical bridge or directly) and has the 50% max volume issue that most DAC/AMPs have or had with PS5 & PS4. From what I've read the Schiit Hel 2 is said to be one of the few DAC/AMPs that can disregard the host volume as a UAC1 device. So in that sense the Hel 2 might be a very good purchase with PS5 in mind.
Yeah, playing nicely with PS5 was one of the things that attracted me to the Hel 2 but then I figured I'd miss the VSS of the G6 for PC which is where I do most of my gaming. I haven't looked into Creative's X3 or X4 yet so no idea where they fall in the grand scheme of things.

Associate
I have an Audeze Penrose headset which I use the most. Also have DT 900 Pro X with a Rode PodMic and a set of Philips X2 HR with Moda BoomPro thingy and a set of Adam Audio T5V for when I don’t want or need a headset

I use Focusrite 2i2 and Creative G6 for the wired stuff

I want to add Audeze LCD GX next and a better DAC/amp

Soldato
Main headphones are Sennheiser momentum 3 wireless, used for work and most gaming now just due to convenience being able to move around. Latency is really low so seem fine for single player games
Fun setup is Audeze LCD-2 CB powered by a Burson Playmate amp with different opamps
Mic is just a wireless ModMic with mounts on both the headphones and running through Nvidia Broadcast to clean up audio. Crazy how much background noise it can clean up, can have sirens go past opened windows and no-one can here them

Also have some Ruark MR1's behind monitor but can't remember the last time I used them

Mobile setup is Sony wf-1000xm4
Use Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee for TV and electric piano, really easy to drive for weaker amps

Associate
Just picked up some DT900 Pro X's, excited to see how they are. Currently using some Fidelio X2HRs, so should be a step up and less overblown bass. I know bass heads love the Fidelio's, but at times I do find it quite muddy/a tad too much.

The 900 Pro X's don't need a DAC but I do have a Fiio K3 which is an awesome wee DAC for simple, no nonsense on the PC.

Associate
My main setup consists of 2x Musical Fidelity P180 power amps each powering one speaker, a Musical Fidelity 3B pre amp, Tannoy DC2000 speakers and BK Electronics XLS200 down firing sub. Headphone setup is a Musical Fidelity V90 balanced headphone amp, SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII DAC, headphones Sennheiser 650 and 560s. The main system is total overkill as I live in a top floor flat, so have to listen at pretty low levels to avoid annoying neighbours, I have about 500W RMS on tap.

Soldato
My current setups are:
Desktop
Schiit Asgard 3 AMP
Schiit Modius DAC
Elgato Wave 3 Mic

Laptop
Sound blaster G6 (Considering getting a Fulla 2E or Hel 2E)

Headphones
AKG K702
Sennheiser HD560s, HD58X
Beyerdynamic DT990, T1 gen 2
Philips X2HR, SHP9500

Last edited:
Associate
Douk audio U2 Pro (usb to spdif output)
SMSL AD18 (DAC, Amp, Head Amp)
Aiyima Dac5 (DAC, Head Amp)
Aiyima A07 (Amp)
Sennheiser HD560s (Headphones)
AKG K702 (Headphones)
Acoustic Energy Compact 1 (Speakers)
Fifine K669B (USB Mic)

Had Sabaj stack for a bit but i’ve moved those to another room as they wouldn’t fit under my monitor properly.
2022 A10D Dac
2022 A10A Amp x 2
(These things are wonderful)

Last edited:
Soldato
Some very interesting audio setups..... I am glade people are into audio quality as well as FPS I am also into audio.. Both for music and PC.
Whats your audio setup? It would be interesting to hear (No pun intended).
I'm considering getting a Bifrost from Schiit but the cost is a bit mental.

OcUK Staff
Whats your audio setup? It would be interesting to hear (No pun intended).
I'm considering getting a Bifrost from Schiit but the cost is a bit mental.

For stereo I have the USB from my PC hooked up to
Meridian 818v3 DAC, streamer, digital pre amp which I also use to stream Tidal.
My main speakers for stereo are Meridian DSP 8000XE
I also run a Naim Solstice turntable.

For surround I run the hdmi from the pc to
Meridian UHD722 Hdmi processor then into a Meridian G65 processor.
Front speakers of this set up are the DSP 8000XE via the 818v3
Centre speaker is Meridian DSP 5200SE HC, rears are Meridian DSP 5200SE.
With Meridian DSW sub.

Headphones I use the 818v3
into Meridian prime headphone amp with prime psu
Then either Byerdynamic T1 for gaming PC stuff or Focal Utopia for serious listening.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG OLED C2 42 for casual PS5 and PC gaming. Soundbar and sub for a bit more emersion when the wife and kids are out and then steel series 7.1 wireless pro with DAC for headphone gaming at night

Back
Top Bottom