• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Games constantly crashing with new GTX1070

Associate
Hi,

I recently bought a gorgeous new 32" Philips BDM3270QP QHD monitor from these lovely peeps here at OcUK, and soon realised my MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G wasn't really up to the job of managing all those pixels while gaming, so I bought an Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC.
I'm no noob when it comes to PC builds, upgrades etc. and did properly uninstall my old card & drivers prior to installing the new one.
I just can't seem to get any game to run for more very long or they don't even reach their main screens, and they just crash.
I've seen lots of others with similar issues and I've tried to resolve mine using the methods they tried, but to no avail.
I'm seriously considering returning this PoS and maybe getting another 970 for SLI instead.

I'm finding this really weird considering it was all running perfectly (albeit a bit GPU underpowered) prior to the 1070 :(

My PC spec in case any need for infos...
NZXT H440 Case
750w OCZ ZS series PSU
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 mobo
i7-4790k (stock) cooled by Corsair H100i
32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600MHz (8-8-8-24) (stock)
8GB Asus GTX1070 Strix CU III OC
500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Windows 10 Pro 64bit)
500GB Samsung 850 EVO (games)
500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Hackintosh El Cap)
8TB Seagate Archive
3TB Seagate Barracuda
2TB Seagate SSHD x2
4TB Seagate Personal Cloud

Attached peripherals...
Apple keyboard
UtechSmart Venus MMO mouse
Logitech G13
Saitek X-55 HOTAS
X-Box gamepad

Any help towards a working resolution is greatly appreciated :)

Associate
Try paring back the factory OC on the 1070 Strix OC by 100MHz or so in EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner. This will check if your new card is not able to maintain it's factory OC.

Soldato
It's not necessarily the case, but there have been more than a few reports of factory overclocked 1070s/1080s being unstable out of the box due to GPU Boost 3.0 pushing too hard, and the Strix OC has one of the most aggressive factory overclocks out there. I'd perhaps try underclocking it slightly and see if the issue goes away. If it does, it's likely just not able to maintain its boost clock. Were that the case, I'd return it, personally.

The PSU could also be a potential suspect, but that seems unlikely if you were running a 970 just fine before. The 1070 barely uses any more juice.

Soldato
Most likely you need a higher rated PSU. You have a lot of devices attached along with all those drives.

1070 does use less power than a 970 at stock but once GPU 3.0 boosts the power useage is probably a little more so I would look at the PSU first or RMA the 1070 & get a lower spec 1070 as Asus are well known for overboosting their cards to inflate review scores at the cost of reliability ;)

Soldato
He'll be nowhere near 750W, even with that amount of drives and such. If the PSU is the issue, it's because it's faulty. No point going out and buying a 1200W Platinum replacement when it isn't needed.

Permabanned
I wouldn't send it back and get a second 970 that's asking for issues, If the cards buggy fine send it back and choose a different 1070.
I don't get why people are paying the premium for cards like the Asus when it takes the cost so close to the next tier of card. Especially considering how the cooler no longer makes a big difference to fps performance on this generation. Yes it can be quieter and cooler than most others but there's plenty of reasonably priced 1070's that do as a good a job.

You could save between 50 and 70 quid by going with a Zotac that does as good a job while offering an additional 2 years of warranty or an EVGA FTW which saves you 60 quid and gives piece of mind regarding customer service if there's an issue at a later date. I don't think any of those will perform noticeably worse than what you have so save yourself 50 quid..

Soldato
try flashing the latest mobo bios, only one drive attached - might be noise on one of the power lines.. my system hung after a few mins with a 1070 until I flashed the latest bios

Associate
OP
Cheers to all that replied, I have found that enabling debug mode in the Nvidia CP lets me play just fine, so that leads me to believe there's something not quite right with the more recent drivers. I am using the latest drivers (I've always kept them up to date), so hopefully this issue gets fixed soon.

As for getting this Asus card, I did get it for a really good price (sadly not from OcUK this time), and it wasn't much more than a regular 1070, so I thought why not, but I certainly wouldn't have paid the normal price for it.

Soldato
The debug mode reduces clocks to Nvidia defaults, so it may be the Asus factory overclock that is unstable. You could try manually overclocking with MSI Afterburner or equivalent if you want to remedy this.

Soldato
As I suspected then, it can't manage its factory overclock. I'd return it for a replacement if it were me, but you could just try adding more voltage in Afterburner if you really don't want to, which may stabilise it (or run it at default clocks as you're doing, but what's even the point of having a fancy overclocked edition at that stage).

I find it unacceptable for a card to be unstable by default out of the box though. Also consider that if you ever want to sell it, you'll have to explain the issue to any prospective buyer and let them know it's unstable at default settings, which will no doubt lower its value.

Associate
OP
I think I'll look into getting a refund and put my GTX970 back in until these 1070 issues are sorted (it's not just limited to Asus cards).

Maybe I should either get another GTX970 for SLI, or look into getting a 980Ti as I'd prefer to run just a single card TBH (esp as it's more stable under Hackintosh ;) ).

Thanks again for the assistance :)

Soldato
I think I'll look into getting a refund and put my GTX970 back in until these 1070 issues are sorted (it's not just limited to Asus cards).

Maybe I should either get another GTX970 for SLI, or look into getting a 980Ti as I'd prefer to run just a single card TBH (esp as it's more stable under Hackintosh ;) ).

Thanks again for the assistance :)

Send it back and get one that can run at its advertised speed . Most 1070's are fine

Soldato
Not aware of any mayor issues with 1070's myself!?

Think you've just been unlucky.

Most seem capable of boosting to 2050 / 2100 without any issues. Mine certainly does.

Man of Honour
There are some issues with some cards - some of the Asus as the OP is possibly finding aren't great, MSI had a batch of problems and a small numbers of cards by various brands with Micron VRAM have issues. That said the vast majority are fine - running a Palit dual fan with Micron and so far had zero issues.

Associate
OP
Well here's an interesting update, I was just about to finalise my returns request, when I saw a video on youtube regarding the last few driver iterations. It turns out that the most recent Nv driver (373.06) increases temps by up to 18°C, so I then downloaded their recommended driver (368.69), and installed those clean.

Now it runs perfectly :)

GPU clock maxing out at 2038MHz and temp no higher than 48°C :)

Soldato
Well here's an interesting update, I was just about to finalise my returns request, when I saw a video on youtube regarding the last few driver iterations. It turns out that the most recent Nv driver (373.06) increases temps by up to 18°C, so I then downloaded their recommended driver (368.69), and installed those clean.

Now it runs perfectly :)

GPU clock maxing out at 2038MHz and temp no higher than 48°C :)

Weird that about the temps. As I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers and doesn't do that for me!

Happy your card is working fine though :)

Back
Top Bottom