Games crashing to desktop

Associate
Afternoon everyone.

Got my new pc up and running now(using it now for this forum post), and have installed NVidia's latest drivers, as well as audio drivers and the chipset driver. The only issue is that when i launch a game, it crashes back to the desktop. The pc works fine other than that, as i can watch videos, browse the web etc. Any idea on what could be the cause?

PC specs as follows:
GeForce RTX 3070 (MSI Gaming X Trio) Driver version 460.79
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x (Flashed BIOS before building)
Cooler Master 212 RGB Black Edition
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600MHZ RAM
MSI X570 tomahawk Wifi
RMX 650W PSU
1920 x 1080 @60Hz

Associate
OP
So far I've tried Rust, Elder Scrolls V and drunken wrestlers and all of these crash to desktop. Getting to the menu is fine but when i click play/load into a server it crashes to desktop as if i pressed alt + f4.

Oh, and i'm using one cable from the PSU that spits into two 8 pins.

Associate
OP
I can run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with no issues but for some reason won't play the games i've tried. Temps under load averaged 65 degrees

Soldato
Hi Blue160! Again, sorry it's taken me so long to see your message. I have two of these cables that arrived with my PSU, but thought i could only use one of them. Is there any benefit in using two? Please see attached:https://imgur.com/gallery/q7MKoLu

It’s definitely worth trying. It’s good practice to use separate cables if possible and it costs you nothing to see if it helps.

Associate
OP
It’s definitely worth trying. It’s good practice to use separate cables if possible and it costs you nothing to see if it helps.
Oh ok, I'll give it a go once I get home from work tmrw. Any tips are much appreciated as a 1st time builder. Plus it's a bit late to be taking cables out :p

Associate
Hi Blue160! Again, sorry it's taken me so long to see your message. I have two of these cables that arrived with my PSU, but thought i could only use one of them. Is there any benefit in using two? Please see attached:https://imgur.com/gallery/q7MKoLu

Yes. Absolutely do this. GPUs can require large currents, and quite often the higher-end GPUs can draw more than a single cable can provide... and it crashes.
It may not solve the issue, but it's definitely something you should do anyway.

Soldato
Google search for LiveKernelEvent 141 gives also quite a few results for Nvidia site.
So would start from some problem with graphics cards/its drivers.
That single split from end PCIe power cable is certainly risk.

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have changed it so the GPU is running off of two cables now. The crashes have still carried on, even after wiping the drivers, installing them from scratch again. Some games like Colony Survival and other low impact games run but that's about it. Not to mention that occasionally when I restart the PC, nothing posts on the screen and so I have to hit the reset button on the case for it to actually show on the screen. At this point I'm not sure if its windows, faulty drivers, faulty GPU or even a faulty PSU. Any recommendations as to what I should do next would be awesome? Hitting a wall here :(

Associate
You got another pc that you can test any of the components in?

Failing that you could try lowering the game clocks for your graphics card -300Hz on the gpu try to run something that normally crashes see if it runs

Associate
OP
The 3070 I'm afraid doesn't fit in my other case without taking everything out. I did put my 960 from previous pc into my new case but the PC just wouldn't post which is weird. I'll try lowering the clocks later tonight as well. If I have to lower clocks to play, wouldn't that mean a faulty GPU?

Associate
Uhh, that's not the outcome we were hoping for...

Might be worth disabling PCIe4 in BIOS, and try forcing PCIe3 instead. Might not make any difference, but from where you are now, it's probably worth a shot.
Also try with XMP disabled, and RAM running at default speed (2400MHz) to rule out memory issues, and stick GPU into the lower PCIe slot instead and see what happens.

Your mobo has a setting called 'Game Boost', apparently. make sure it's disabled.

Other stupid things I'd try involve disabling Windows' game mode (type it into the search bar and it'll pop up), disable Fast Boot in BIOS, and also in Windows (power options-additional power settings-change what the power buttons do-click the link to enable the options- disable fast startup).

I'd also be ensuring decent LLC on the CPU in BIOS, level 3 or 4 to help in case of voltage drops, although I think if vdroop were an issue, the machine would just proper crash rather than CTD so probably not related.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having a similar issue at the moment, I will update you if I find any fix.

Spec:
Ryzen 2600
Gigabyte Aorus 470x Ultra Gaming
Corsair 16GB 3000Mhz RGB
1070 8GB
Crucial P1 1TB SSD
Samsung 840 250GB
Antec 750w 80+ Gold PSU (recently added, was having the same issues before)

I've run Memtest86 for a couple hours with no issue.
All the heath checks apps for the SSDs say they're fine (P1 is almost new).
Run OCCT memory test on the GPU for over an hour with no errors.
Fresh install of Windows.
All drivers up to date.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom