Games 'permit' virtual war crimes

Caporegime
Now that I think about it, the study appears to make the logical fallacy of begging the question, the question in this case being: is it a bad thing that games allow people to make poor moral choices and commit virtual war crimes?

Soldato
How is Far Cry 2 valid for the study?

I can understand them questioning the actions of armed forces in games (not that I agree with them) but in FC2 there are no military units involved, its mercs and civi soldiers if I remember right. Do the same rules apply?

Being true to life and following all the rules would make games boring anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit I recently was in call of duty MW 1 , and there is a cutscene where one of the good guys, an SAS soldier, executed a tied up terrorist.

I was dissapointed although it wasn't real in that I thought it was an insult to the honour of the SAS.

I can understand 'fire and move' and not having time to take prisoners on when mid-operation, but if you remember the cut-scene the operation was over, and the guy was definately DEFINATELY at that point a prisoner of war. The SAS shouldn't be depicted as murderers, as it is deformation of the image of the squadren (the murderer isn't even questioned about his action in the cutscene -- the rest of the squad just start talking about their next mission! This, out of combat and operations, is absolutely totally wrong .. the guy would be tried by court marshall for murder ..

Erm the SAS executed terrorists during the brighton embassy siege

Associate
I remember in COD when you were an aerial gunner and had to deliberately NOT hit the church when defending the exfiltrating friendly unit. It works both ways.

Caporegime

if the game was true to life then you wouldn't be following the rules.

If you emailed these people and asked for a list of times European and Americana troops have breached the Geneva convention I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to give you a list as long as your arm.

Yet they claim that breaches of conventions never happen in real life and games shouldn't say they do...

Caporegime
How is Far Cry 2 valid for the study?

I can understand them questioning the actions of armed forces in games (not that I agree with them) but in FC2 there are no military units involved, its mercs and civi soldiers if I remember right. Do the same rules apply?

Wondered about this as well, technically the enemy never really die in fc2, you kill them all at a checkpoint, drive on past, return to same checkpoint 5 minutes later and theyve all miracously came back to life.:D

Caporegime
I must admit I recently was in call of duty MW 1 , and there is a cutscene where one of the good guys, an SAS soldier, executed a tied up terrorist.

I was dissapointed although it wasn't real in that I thought it was an insult to the honour of the SAS.

I can understand 'fire and move' and not having time to take prisoners on when mid-operation, but if you remember the cut-scene the operation was over, and the guy was definately DEFINATELY at that point a prisoner of war. The SAS shouldn't be depicted as murderers, as it is deformation of the image of the squadren (the murderer isn't even questioned about his action in the cutscene -- the rest of the squad just start talking about their next mission! This, out of combat and operations, is absolutely totally wrong .. the guy would be tried by court marshall for murder ..

Do you really believe that no special forces operative has killed a soldier in the way it happened?

Some of these people judging war and the legalities of war really need to go to the front line and see what goes through their head then.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Erm the SAS executed terrorists during the brighton embassy siege

I wasn't aware of any embassies in Brighton...

To be fair if you were doing a "Real Life" SAS game you would probably spend most of the time sat in one place hiding and observing an enemy position whilst taking notes. At the end of the level you may radio for an airstrike...

Associate
I found parts of COD 5 offensive where when playing one of the Russian sections you had to shoot or flame thrower surrendering Germans. Shooting civies in COD 6 didn't bother me at all though and just going on killing sprees in GTA 4 is great fun.

Back
Top Bottom