Games that were difficult in your childhood

Soldato
I was remembering back to my childhood of old games that were notoriously difficult at the time and I remembered Zarch which at the time I only got to play at primary school so no chance to properly learn it like you would a game you could play for hours at home but I always remember it being one of the most frustrating games I've ever played

What other vintage games did any of you struggle with or seem to remember as being hard ?

Soldato
Spellbound on the ZX spectrum was tough, never finished it. Actually used a walkthrough with an ZX emulator and still tough with WT

Last edited:
Soldato
OMG i had Space Harrier on the Atari ST when i was about 8.... It was stupidly hard!

xQ4wEUt.jpg
VjidVjt.jpg
AEuKyEz.jpg
AEuKyEz.jpg
lleraqj.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
At the dawn of the home computer, every single blasted game was hard when you were only 5! Flipping Manic Miner for example - took me two weeks to get past the first screen!

Man of Honour
I tried playing Mega Drive Lion King the other day after completing it 23 years ago on Amiga. I couldn't do it. Old games punish you and are utterly infuriating :p

Soldato
I tried playing Mega Drive Lion King the other day after completing it 23 years ago on Amiga. I couldn't do it. Old games punish you and are utterly infuriating :p

Three lives, no energy bar, bad guy touches or shoots you - you die. I’m glad games have evolved from that concept!

Soldato
The final boss on that is literally impossible without memorising it, and it takes so long to get to it. How on earth that game got approved at that difficulty level is beyond me

Soldato
Having recently started playing Elite Dangerous again and realising how easy even that is now compared to launch then the original Elite was pretty hardcore and I think most people remember docking their first few times before getting enough for a computer. Nice music though!

Associate
Space Hulk (1993)

My school mates would plot various tactics and then after school, try them out - they never worked! We would forget that one of the squad would get a gun jam. :D

By gum it was hard, I never got anywhere near to finishing. We would give up and play Sensi instead! If GOG stock this I would buy in a heart beat (got the original Floppy's) sadly binned the box though. :eek:

Its been years since I have seen the Intro - blimey! Memories coming back and how I loved the intro music!

Soldato
Aliens on the C64. I had the budget version which, unknown to me until 20 years later, was missing the printed map you would get in the full price version.
An early predecessor to the 3d fps, it was ******* terrifying, as well as difficult. Might go back to it with emulator. and with the map printed out.

Loads of C64 games were seriously hard. They would otherwise be so short that I guess they had to make them that way.

I completed the SNES one in a weekend, having borrowed it from a friend. But in those days there tended to be differences between the consoles, so MD one might very well have been harder.

Don't think I ever finished Jet Set Willy also.
Depending on which system you were playing, it might have actually been impossible to complete. The C64 version was terminally bugged such that you jumped further going left than right (or vice versa), meaning there was a section (or sections) that simply could not be done.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, the ending sequence wasn't even coded into the game!

Back
Top Bottom