1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

games with castles, bow and arrows, swords

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Apex, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Apex

Capodecina

i'm in the mood to play a game that's set in medieval sort of times, though not necessarily authentic. it can be wizards, etc.

ideally something that's RPG style, but open to suggestions and doesn't have to be that new.

ideally nothing older than 10 years.

i've played kingdom come, all lotr games i'm aware of. skyrim.

anything i should look at?

also on a side note, wouldn't a game like age of empires with base building, but then you are the king and in battles you go into 1st person view, walk around the town and fight the enemies with your units at your side, be a bloody fantastic game

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. arc@css

Caporegime

Not sure they're quite what you're after but the Eschelon games on Steam might be worth a look. Not first person though.

I think the first one in the series is free:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/25600/Eschalon_Book_I/

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/38323/

There's another which might be closer though I think it's been in development for ages; I can't recall the original name for it but I believe it goes by 'Exanima' now. I seem to recall a thread on here about it years ago.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362490/Exanima/

Ahh, that was it 'Sui Generis'.

3. Unseul

Wise Guy

Tried mount and blade? New one should be out very soon too.

4. Musty Pie

Soldato

Mordhau - first person MP online combat. Its also hilarious
    The Witcher 3 Third person Action RPG with an amazing world, story and content for hundreds of hours.

5. Freddie1980

Soldato

Mount & Blade was the first game that I thought of when I saw the subject line. It's a bit old though and it can get repetitive but the sequel should be out in March (Beta only, the game has been in development for years) which is worth a look.

6. strumpusplunket

Mobster

This was the first thing I thought of when I read your post, too, especially this bit:

Because this is kind of what you do in M&B. There's no real base-building, but you do manage an empire over a large map and recruit armies and then zoom in to fight alongside them in battles.

Warband is probably the best version. Right of the cusp of the age limit you put, and graphicallly it is in no way cutting-edge, but there are a ton of mods to change things up, and as Unseul says, the long-awaited sequel is almost out!

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice.

It's more like a fantasy version of feudal japan, but there's certainly a castle, swords and bow and arrows.

8. swillsy

Hitman

this times a million - worth waiting a few more weeks for number 2!

9. EssexBoy

Wise Guy

Yep 100% M&B but would wait for Bannerlord soonish.

10. Daftbrown

Wise Guy

Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Look it up.

(Edit - nvm - reread the OP - whoops)

11. HecFam

Mobster

One the note of your second point, it's an oldish one (2006) so doesn't fit the 10 year request, but I used to love Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War.

Just like age of empires with the strategy/Base building aspect, but you also got to control your "Champion" in 3rd person combat, used to love running about as Alexander the Great, slashing up armies of dudes.

Wish they had a remake of it!

12. Apex

Capodecina

i actually tried this a few years back and couldn't get into it as was just a tad too old for me, but i've been waiting for number 2 to come out and will give that a go

13. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

Mordhau - great mindless fun

14. bJN

Mobster

Witcher 3 worth a punt, was very cheap for Game of the Year edition recently which is why I picked it up.