Gaming headset to pair with Creative Soundblaster Z

Soldato
As the title suggests I'm looking for a gmaing headset for primarily FPS games (RB6:Siege, BF1, Overwatch etc..)

Or would I be better in ditching the sound card and gettinga USB gaming headset?

Associate
Corsair voids are decent for BF1 and Overwatch. I have them. BF1 sounds particularly crispy. The 3.5mm jack version is pretty cheap. You pay a premium for USB on account of the built in electronics (DAC etc).

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...ite-stormtrooper-ca-9011139-eu-sp-036-cs.html

Here is the USB RGB version. Without RGB subtract 10 pounds (still USB... cant find the 3.5mm version on OCUK)... wireless+rgb is like 110 pounds.

If you want something truly exciting, for a (lot) more money you can have the Sennheiser G4ME one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sennheiser-g4me-one-premium-gaming-headset-black-sp-081-sn.html

These are generally agreed to be great for games. Never used em. Own the voids. Ymmv.

Associate
I'm in a similar boat and after reading around recon you are better served by a decent sound card which you have. These are the shortlist I'm considering;

Sennheiser G4ME one
Razer Tiamat 2.2 V2
Astro A40

Anyone else have suggestions?

Soldato
You got sucked in by the flashy looks. Silly move. You have a decent soundcard that will be far superior to the cheap little usb dongle that those voids use, probably cost a fiver. You just needed a good headset and the MMX is made by a proper headphone company and they were £250 not long ago. One of the best headsets out there.

Soldato
OP
You got sucked in by the flashy looks. Silly move. You have a decent soundcard that will be far superior to the cheap little usb dongle that those voids use, probably cost a fiver. You just needed a good headset and the MMX is made by a proper headphone company and they were £250 not long ago. One of the best headsets out there.

I looked at reviews for that headset and they said its great for movies and music but not so much gaming. I didn't get the VOID for its looks, I got it for its comfort and performance in FPS games which according to the reviews its really good for the price point.

I'm coming from 5 year old analogue Roccat Kave 5.1 headsets so these VOIDs will be a massive improvement.

Soldato
OP
OK so plugged in the VOID into the Headphones/MIC jack on the soundblaster Z, onlt the sound works and its not stereo. WHen I test left and right speaker in Windows 10 the sound comes through both sides :confused:

Soldato
OP
UPDATE: I jiggled the jack around and found that if I ever so slightly leave it out so its not plugged all the way the sound is perfect. Very loud and clear :)

But the Mic doesnt work, do I need a splitter for that to work?

Associate
UPDATE: I jiggled the jack around and found that if I ever so slightly leave it out so its not plugged all the way the sound is perfect. Very loud and clear :)

But the Mic doesnt work, do I need a splitter for that to work?

The Soundblaster Z has separate outputs for headphones & mic, you cannot use a combo jack so you do need a splitter.

Soldato
OP
So been using this Corsair Void Pro enough to let you guys know what I think. Firstly when using the supplied USB Dolby 7.1 dongle the sound is crisp and clear in stereo. Its when you turn on the Dolby 7.1 it looses the clarity and becomes "muddy". Yes you get the directional sound but its feel all airy fairy.

However using them with my Sound Blaster Z card and they are magnificent! I've set surround to 65% and didn't need to touch anything else, the sound stage is impeccable. I've heard things in games that I didn't know where there before. Also the directional sound is so much better than my Roccatt Kave 5.1. For £85 I think they are priced just about right.

I'm not using the mic on the headset, I've borrowed my nephews mic which thanks to the sound card work great. Bought the sound card about 6 years ago and only now using its potential lol

Associate
So been using this Corsair Void Pro enough to let you guys know what I think. Firstly when using the supplied USB Dolby 7.1 dongle the sound is crisp and clear in stereo. Its when you turn on the Dolby 7.1 it looses the clarity and becomes "muddy". Yes you get the directional sound but its feel all airy fairy.

However using them with my Sound Blaster Z card and they are magnificent! I've set surround to 65% and didn't need to touch anything else, the sound stage is impeccable. I've heard things in games that I didn't know where there before. Also the directional sound is so much better than my Roccatt Kave 5.1. For £85 I think they are priced just about right.

I'm not using the mic on the headset, I've borrowed my nephews mic which thanks to the sound card work great. Bought the sound card about 6 years ago and only now using its potential lol
Mic on that headset is terrible i return these because i had complaints from my team mates about the quality.

Soldato
Firstly when using the supplied USB Dolby 7.1 dongle the sound is crisp and clear in stereo. Its when you turn on the Dolby 7.1 it looses the clarity and becomes "muddy". Yes you get the directional sound but its feel all airy fairy.

However using them with my Sound Blaster Z card and they are magnificent! I've set surround to 65% and didn't need to touch anything else, the sound stage is impeccable.
Dolby Headphone is mediocre even from actually good parts using sound card:
It's awfully echo prone also bloating bass.
Though it does good imitation of echoing ambience of public bath...

I looked at reviews for that headset and they said its great for movies and music but not so much gaming. I didn't get the VOID for its looks, I got it for its comfort and performance in FPS games which according to the reviews its really good for the price point.
Technically stronger than neutral bass headphones aren't best for picking sounds of games.
But DT770 (base of MMX300) is still made by Beyerdynamic who knows lot about making headphones and bass isn't allowed to drown everything else.
Also sound stage should be quite good sized for that price closed design headphone.

While made cheaply in China for high profits gaming stuff is never reviewed against actually established headphones.
And remember that those same reviewers also hail that Dolby Headphone as good, along with that likely barely above garbage USB-dongle.
You can't even find frequency response measurements for them.
This is the only I've seen and most of those frequency response curves are beyond bad:
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response

Because of human ear being very bad absolute measuring instument that kind crap goes through.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info EsaT, tbh I'm no audiophile but I'm sensitive to midrange, bass and directional sound which the VOID covers. They are also really comfortable :)

One thing I noticed is the different Ohm options for the DT770, what do they mean?

Soldato
One thing I noticed is the different Ohm options for the DT770, what do they mean?
It tells their AC resistance and do they take power as voltage or current.
All versions should have basically identical power need (same efficiency in making sound from electric power) but higher ohm versions need more voltage while drawing little current.
Power = voltage * current.
Or P=UI in easier to handle form which can be related to I=U/R of Ohm's law

In device operating with very low voltage headphones simply have to content with low voltage.
But in general situation has gone totally nuts in chasing low ohms and more volume.
(higher volume sounds better even if actual audio quality decreases)

Despite of general public hallucination lower ohms aren't actually easier load for outputs.
It's current which causes stress for outputs and unless headphones need higher signal voltage (for wanted volume) than output can provide higher impedance headphones are actually easier load.
Higher headphone impedance also automatically improves electric damping factor with voltage source of output (and signal) having tighter control over movement of driver.
Not to mention less frequency response changes from output impedance (or serial resistor volume adjusting knob) if impedance isn't same at all frequencies...
Many popular Sennheisers are big offenders in uneven impedance and IEMs can have crazy impedance curves.

Because of average efficiency in general Beyerdynamics aren't that demanding load.
Basic integrateds of motherboards can drive 250 ohm DT990 well past hearing safe (for longer duration) volumes unless audio signal has very high dynamic range with mostly low level signal.
Was actually positively surprised when trying that after getting my DT990s and expecting inadequate volume and low sound quality/interference.
While having lowish ohms some AKGs are actually more demanding load because of needing more power, which at lower ohms means lot higher current.
Of course 600 ohm Beyers are again quite demanding for having enough output voltage reserve for all situations.
(though they draw barely any current)

Soldato
OP
How can I fix the loose jack thing? I only get good sound of the jack is in loose, if its fully in the sound is queit and tinny

Back
Top Bottom