Gaming laptop, MSI GGS75 Stealth,worried I've made a big mistake. *UPDATED*

Soldato
In between really, the laptop is better and I do get better performance, but it's annoying seeing the CPU throttle and hearing it spin up like a hoover.

The screen is miles better on this Aorus X5 V7, QHD and the color accuracy so much better, well at least to my eyes.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I ended up with the Area 51m in the end, couldn't be happier. Outstanding performance, very good build quality miles quieter than the GS75.

Shockingly in the end of sending the gs75 back i caught it on the box and putting it away ready to send back and it took the paint off down to the white plastic and it was the softest scuff, appalling quality for a £3400 laptop.

My advice would be stay clear unless you don't ever intend of moving it and are hell bent on a super thin laptop and in that case i'd still recommend the GE75 better build quality, full 2080 and a fraction thicker, and £1,000 cheaper.

Associate
Thanks for your honest opinion. Quite an insight there. I'm not at all surprised about your findings - pretty much on par with some of the reviews I have read. I reckon they've have had to accept quite a few returns...

Speaking of which I have actually had to RMA my GT75 8SF today, unfortunately. The webcam was faulty and the keyboard was a hybrid mix of European and American keys in a most bizarre way. Almost as if Stevie Wonder had put the keys on himself.. I absolutely loved it apart from those issues. In terms of value for money and performance it was superb, and it was quiet to boot, even under relative load. But then it wasn't a thin and light. To be honest, I can't see the thin and light chassis being more than a fad - you just can't compromise.

Did you go from a GTX 1080 GT75 to a RTX 2070 GT75?

Isn't that a downgrade in GPU performance?

Associate
Going from my 17" MSI to a 15" slim Aorus (usually you'd get a MAX-Q in this) I think MSI have good cooling in the thicker laptops, really quiet even when overclocked. Slim laptops are loud beasts that can only be tamed with re-paste, undervolt and throttling.

I still don't understand how people expect a high end laptop NOT to make noise, i think the ex MSI rep Loki said something aloong the lines of "you wouldn't buy a high performance car and expect it to sound quiet"

Get them noise cancelling headphones on and clock that beast with fans on max XD

Associate
TO be fair some high end laptops are perfectly acceptable noise wise and not loud, the thinner ones like the Aorus I now have are like hair dryers.

I've yet to find a high end laptop that operates at an "not loud" when playing a modern game? Let me know

I have a fat MSI with two exhausts and independent GPU/CPU cooling with two intake fans and a whole mesh base, this MF is still LOUD mainly because I don't want my temps high (prolongs the life of the laptop whilst boosting performance obv).

I can set the fan curve lower, but why run at 70c when I can run closer to 40-50c etc allowing for more overlocking :) as long as its quiet when doing word processing/browsing/movies etc its fine, gaming I've got the sound on or my headset so fan loudness is never a thought for me tbh

Associate
OP
I suppose it boils down to everyone having different levels of tolerance, I found the thin MSI ones to sort of whine when blowing out the air, due to the vents being so small it's like a small whistle (Not quite a whistle but high pitched)

Having said that my current 51m is more than tolerable (for me), sounds more like my desktop which I'm so use to drowning out unless the fans are on 100% it's playable without headphones.

Get them noise cancelling headphones on and clock that beast with fans on max XD

I'd have to agree with this comment though, if you're playing the latest AAA titles or stressful games noise cancelling headphones are essential, especially on high end laptops.

Associate
OP
The MSI GT75 I had wasn't loud under load at all. That's the reason I wanted one.
Mine was, particularly when playing Hitman 2 and World of Warcraft. That was using throttle stop to undervolt and underclock it (it was necessary to not sit at 90 degrees constantly) with headphones and music on i wouldn't hear it but i would if game sounds wasn't up a fair bit.

I've read MSI use some of the cheapest thermal paste on multiple sources who have stripped them, I can't confirm myself. However people have reported some good drops using higher quality paste, not good enough for the price they want.

Associate
Mine was, particularly when playing Hitman 2 and World of Warcraft. That was using throttle stop to undervolt and underclock it (it was necessary to not sit at 90 degrees constantly) with headphones and music on i wouldn't hear it but i would if game sounds wasn't up a fair bit.

I've read MSI use some of the cheapest thermal paste on multiple sources who have stripped them, I can't confirm myself. However people have reported some good drops using higher quality paste, not good enough for the price they want.

thermal paste on most pre built is usually bad unless its from a custom gaming site.

one of first things i do is repaste and use the stuff I trust before anything gets damaged by heat (before I OC :p)

also the GT75 there are reviews on it, tested decibels idle around 50db on normal fan curvers, up to 70+ on high load from a game, each to their own on "how loud this is" but its comparable to conversation in a packed cafe, or some background music or air conditioning unit, so definitely in the average sized room in a house that IS loud tbh. But again, lower temps higher speed fans more noise / more performance :D

my GT73vr 1080 is similar setup to the GT75 the case looks almost identical and probably shares a similar cooling system looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom