Gaming Monitor Advice

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm looking at three monitors currently:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-052-DE&groupid=17&catid=510

Asus VN247H: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-AS

Asus SonicMaster MX239H : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-049-AS

Setup:
i5 4570k
KFA2 770

Main use: MMO Gaming / Occasionally BF3/CS:GO

I love the look of the Asus SonicMaster - the only bugbear I have with this one is that I cannot VESA mount this monitor.. unless there's someway it would be done? (If so, I will buy this one )

Dell UltraSharp U2412M - Only down point is the pictures make it look fairly chunky and ugly :/.

I'm torn between the three for gaming, I would love to go for an 120 Hz monitor, but the pricing at the moment is not in reach, and 3D doesn't concern me.
Would a 120 Hz monitor benefit all the constant action on screen in an MMO?

Anyone got any recommendations for which out of the three i've listed is the best monitor for gaming, and reason why, however I'm welcoming other suggestions.

Pricing under <£200.

Cheers.

Soldato
Wouldn't it come down also to:-
- Dell U2412M will always look better? ie: better colour/contrast?
- Regarding response time, you may never even notice the difference? Sure the numbers for the Dell are higher, but are you going to notice a potential single frame of response time and even see any ghosting etc?
- The Dell is 16:10 which is nicer IMHO than 16:9.

Soldato
Personally I would stretch your budget slightly and consider this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-BQ&groupid=17&catid=510 - I got one the other day and once setup correctly is a great monitor. 144hz as well :D

Can this do the 120/144mhz over DVI and HDMI cables?

The colour on that monitor has always worried me. One review states:-
Colours are mediocre. My previous monitor was a little washed out, but the Benq is worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
don't think hdmi can do 144hz, so it would have to be DVI

did they spend much time calibrating the monitor in that review?
nearly all monitors need a bit of fiddling with out of the box to get the best out of them

Man of Honour
Thanks for the responses^

I'm now stuck between:

BenQ XL2420T

OR

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

I would not take the XL2420T over the Dell for mostly MMO gaming ever. I've unfortunatly not had a play with the XL2411T yet so it might be better in that regard but the colors on the XL2420T are pretty meh and do NOT calibrate that well.

Associate
OP
I would not take the XL2420T over the Dell for mostly MMO gaming ever. I've unfortunatly not had a play with the XL2411T yet so it might be better in that regard but the colors on the XL2420T are pretty meh and do NOT calibrate that well.

I'm guessing you own the XL2420T? -

I'm leaning more towards the Dell, but then in the back of my mind, thinking people are raving about the 120hz making everything fluid.

Shame I can't seem to find a side-by-side screen comparison, I want to know just how much lower quality the colours are on the XL2420T.

Soldato
Question - Does the 120hz only help if your PC can pump out 120fps in game?

Or if it's only managing say 50-100fps, does the monitor inject (like on TVs) middle frames to smooth things? If so, then surely that injects an instant 1fps lag?

Soldato
Get an IPS they are better image quality than TN panels...

If you played only CS:GO competitively for example and needed the absolute best response time and lowest input lag / 120hz then the TN would be the best, but if you want an image which looks nicer and still has good response times (still fast just not the absolute fastest and the input lag is still low on IPS)...

I would go for the better image quality in your situation, if you were a competitive CS:GO or any FPS gamer then I would get the 120hz TN although the image quality on TN is not as good as the IPS at all. Even as someone who plays CS:GO a lot I would probably still go for a low input lag IPS because the image quality is just better.

Man of Honour
I'm guessing you own the XL2420T? -

I'm leaning more towards the Dell, but then in the back of my mind, thinking people are raving about the 120hz making everything fluid.

Shame I can't seem to find a side-by-side screen comparison, I want to know just how much lower quality the colours are on the XL2420T.

I have a XL2420T - few panels at the time I bought it could touch it for response and low latency, very little comes close for competitive FPS gaming but theres no way I'd use it for day to day use.

Panels I use day to day include Samsung S27B970D, 2343BW, Dell U2913WM as well as the XL2420T and also still use my Samsung 2233RZ quite a bit so I have a good bit of experience to draw on.

Associate
I started reading this thread as im also looking for a monitor, and was considering several of the ones listed here.

Currently im using "Dell 2209WA, "22"" which is an IPS, and ive never had any issues with ghosting on any FPS that i play, BF3, Quake, CS:GO.

So unless the Dell UltraSharp U2412M, has a slower panel over the one i mentioned above, i would buy it without question.

From the information i just looked up, my 22 has 6ms G2G, the 24 has 8ms G2G,

although it is a hassle to send back, you could always buy the dell and if you have any ghosting issues send it back within 14days.

Back
Top Bottom