Gaming on Projector

Soldato
as the title says how do people find this? Really thinking about getting a projector to use with an OG Xbox and PS4 Pro.

Do you find the benefits of a good 1080p projector outweigh those of a decent 4K HDR screen (say at 55 to 65 inches).

Long term I want to put a decent projector in a "gaming room" and use it for movies too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got an Optama HD141X and I find gaming on it to be absolutely great, I've got it at about 65". IQ's really good for the price of it to be honest. I find it better than my Sony 55" KD8 something.

Soldato
OP
Nice, how do you fair in a bright room?
I'm planning to go 85"+ as I think that's where it really makes a difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
120" projector here. Quality isn't as good as my 60"Kuro. But not that you'd really notice. Size matters.

I was hoping you would say that. I have a 65" 4K, non-HDR TV in my main room and where I switch between modes on HZD I can't see a major difference very slight.
I was thinking that 1080p on a good large projected image would be more impressive.

Soldato
I was hoping you would say that. I have a 65" 4K, non-HDR TV in my main room and where I switch between modes on HZD I can't see a major difference very slight.
I was thinking that 1080p on a good large projected image would be more impressive.

Done some gaming on my old Benq w1070. With surround sound and the 120" screen it's the dogs nads.

What is it the yanks say "no substitute for cubic inches" well I think the same goes in this situation. The bonus of the size far outweighs the very slight drop in quality.

I've yet to hook up the PC and play Elite Dangerous. But anything on the PS4 looks great and sucks you in.

Soldato
OP
What is it the yanks say "no substitute for cubic inches" well I think the same goes in this situation. The bonus of the size far outweighs the very slight drop in quality.

I've yet to hook up the PC and play Elite Dangerous. But anything on the PS4 looks great and sucks you in.

Awesome, guess I don't need the Scorpio then will focus on big screen 1080p gaming. Think I need a low latency bright room projector.

Associate
As long as you're not playing a competitive online shooter, then a projector is amazing, the immersion of a projector to a tv just has to be seen, you cannot put it into words. Also seeing as a 100" screen is the size of 4 x 50" tv put together. And you may think that at that size 1080p would look bad, but it really doesn't the sharpness is there and if anything you spot details in your games that you can't when gaming on a small monitor or tv.

Associate
Quality looks rubbish as it's shot on my phone, and please ignore the rubbish driving, I was playing one handed with an xbox controller through steam link, but you can get an idea of what it's like. Budget projector too btw cost £500.

Soldato
OP
That looks pretty sweet! I think I'm sold. I need to find a bright room one I reckon though. Would like to use in the daytime without completely removing all light. Main use will probably be evenings/nights though.

Soldato
Gaming on a projector is great! Bigger is better - no point 85" if you can go bigger. I'd choose a 65" panel over a 85" pj - but once you hit 92" and over it comes into it's own.

Re. room conditions - for gaming and if you can't batcave the room, I prefer using a white screen with gain as opposed to a grey. Let's you go bigger too.

Last edited:
Associate
What would be the rough kind of distance you would place the projector then if you want a 100" display? or guessing that varies from projector to projector?

Soldato
It varies greatly from pj to pj and technology type. lcd and lcos are usually much more flexible while with dlp you have to be more precise with pj height and throw distance.

Man of Honour
I use mine sometimes for racing games and some casual games when my nephews are over.

Projectors are very hit and miss for gaming - some have almost zero lag others can have lag in the 100s of ms - on some this can be reduced by turning some features on or off especially image enhancements others it won't make much difference. Some can turn into a right mess with fast PC game motion due to built in image processing designed for office use or movie use which sometimes can't be disabled and AFAIK no easy way to know these things unless someone has done an in depth review.

Soldato
It's the same with panels. Input lag and dodgy video processing messing up motion. There's less choice with pjs and more hassle with setting up, but that's the price you pay for an image that makes the largest flat panel look tiny :)

Back
Top Bottom