Gaming pc build * need help*

Associate
So i'm looking to build/buy a new gaming pc. I already have ssd's and hdd's, and windows operating system.

I would like 1080 ti - which ever you think is best for its buck. If theres only a minor difference to the best one then id choose the cheaper one. but if its noticable i would like the better one.

CPU - I5 8600 coffee lake.

The rest is up to debate, im not bothered about a fancy case. i do want to overclock my gpu and cpu if not already done so cooling will need to be good too.

And RAM should be no more than 16gb, and i dont know if 2400 / 3200 really has an effect on intel cpu's like it does with Amd Razen.

Just to be clear, i am willing to go to AMD cpu or kaby/skylake cpu if there isnt much difference in performance. I dont want to be spending 2k for a gaming build if a 1.3-1.5k build is almost as good.

Soldato
Ryzen offers better value, and seeing as you are gaming at 4K then not much in it between Intel and AMD.

If you want to lower the cost then drop down to a 6 core R5. There are also cheaper kits of ram available. The 8Pack kit just guarantees it will run at 3200 without any tweaking.

I probably would have selected the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming board, but it is pre-order at the minute. You can ask ocuk if they have an ETA as that would save another £31.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,592.99 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Associate
OP

Just so you know , i went for this build minus the 1TB ssd card. i got a 256gb m.2 card instead, as i alreadyy have a few ssd 500gb cards. Thanks for the help

Soldato
Just so you know , i went for this build minus the 1TB ssd card. i got a 256gb m.2 card instead, as i alreadyy have a few ssd 500gb cards. Thanks for the help

Nice ! Hope you enjoy! Let us know how you get on !
Phanteks do make a very nice case !
Stock coolers from AMD are surprisingly good, but if you find it's a bit loud or hot for your liking, isn't to match cash to change in future :)

Associate
OP
yeh i built it and it all works fine except this : Samsung PM961 Polaris 256GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive . the bios cant find it and also it doesnt appear as a drive on the windows operating system(which is installed on one of my ssd's.

Associate
OP
Just to clarify i can use the drive (after formatting it in disk management) but it wont show up in the BIOS and also samsung magician doesnt recognise the card(but can still to a performance test on it)

I was basically trying to clone my SSD drive with windows on it, to transfer it to this M.2 card and run windows from that instead, but obviously it wont boot from the M.2 drive as the Bios doesn't even recognise it.

Also , it's installed into the primary m.2 slot , there is two slots. its the one right next to the PCI x16 slot.

And the SSD drive is installed into the SATA 1 port

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed the Samsung nvme drivers(which were a massive ball ache to find. But this didn't help with the bios recognising it.

There are no official drfvers for the SM and PM nvme drives as they are OEM and not retail/consumer versions .
Would be on reason why Samsung Magic and Drivers were a pain to find . OEM vendors have their own for it or just use windows drivers .

Not sure if @GIGA-Man / Gigabyte has come across this issue .

Try giving M2B slot a try . It's the lower slot and is only PCIe only

Lot of issues with M.2 drives with boards not detecting in bios but shown in windows is Drive not seated correctly . Needs to be pushed in quite a bit . Once in should be very little flex

*** Quick Google , seems a user with same issue installed in bottom slot, as top slot giving same issues.
Installed fine, then tried top slot and worked fine ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom