Gaming PC in loft - long cables to desk in another room.

Associate
Personally I'd just build a custom desk and get a watercooling setup and put the base unit into a hidden compartment in the desk itself. That way no mentally long cables, risk of dust killing it or awful fire hazard.

This is what I'd do too, either a custom desk or some sort of side unit to store the case in. Then line it with sound proofing material?

Not sure if this is suitable, but you get the idea..

https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/soundproofing-walls-6/barrier-shield-4.html

http://www.keepitquiet.co.uk/help.html

Soldato
This is what I'd do too, either a custom desk or some sort of side unit to store the case in. Then line it with sound proofing material?

Not sure if this is suitable, but you get the idea..

https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/soundproofing-walls-6/barrier-shield-4.html

http://www.keepitquiet.co.uk/help.html

What op is suggesting is going to cost him a few quid comparatively. How much is a custom built desk and WC setup?

Remember that PCs are used in other countries too, some of them are, shock-horror, warmer and more humid than the UK :)

Pics when done please Sekrab :)

Associate
What op is suggesting is going to cost him a few quid comparatively. How much is a custom built desk and WC setup?

Remember that PCs are used in other countries too, some of them are, shock-horror, warmer and more humid than the UK :)

Pics when done please Sekrab :)

Yeah but he didnt mention he was on a budget or anything. Putting a pc in a loft seems like a bad idea to me, when I re-insulated my loft earlier this year I found a wasps nest up there and loads of old broken down dusty insulation (I know he has boards and dust filters but this doesnt always stop the dust).

I reckon a small storage box or side unit and some sound proofing matering wouldn't be too expensive.

What has another country got to do with it?? I'm assuming he's from UK, I dont get why you mentioned this??

Soldato
I mention it because other countries have warmer/colder climates than here and their PCs work just fine :)

A mate of mine lives in Spain, his "study" gets far hotter, I imagine, than OPs loft at the height of summer. Another guy I knew from my last job moved to the Philippines where it is hot and humid. His PC is fine too though we can't play CSS anymore (lag)

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the input guys, now I'm really undecided - there seems to be as many people saying 'go for it' as there are saying 'don't do it!' LOL

I was a bit worried at the number of people suggesting a potential fire hazard - it wasn't something I'd considered to be honest, I've not only been a PC enthusiast all my life, but I've worked in IT, where I've built and repaired perhaps hundreds of PCs over the last 15 years and have never come across - or heard a report of - a PC which had actually combusted. Many's the time I've seen a PSU blow with a bang and a little puff of smoke, but never with naked flames emitting. I'm not saying it's not possible, but surely (during normal, sensible operation) the risk of this happening is absolutely miniscule - I'm more likely to be hit by a car, right?

It made my concerned about my rig even in its current location - I pretty much leave it turned on all day when I'm at work and have done years - surely the fire-risk is as great in my study when no one is in the house as it is in the loft... ?

Anyway, I appreciate the tip. For the money - peace of mind pay-off: I'll be fitting a smoke alarm.

Associate
The risk of a fire could be similar to the risk of say being seriously injured in a car accident, or whatever - probably very, very low.
It's the sort of thing most people think happens to other people and not to them.

You have to decide what the consequences could be if it happens to you and what you can do to minimise the likelihood of it happening.

FWIW given the skills and knowledge you possess I would have little concern.
In the case of the car - wear your seatbelt.
In the case of the PC, use a master switch at ground level to control all the electrics associated with the PC and install a smoke detector.

I was an Electrical Engineer all my working life and I wouldn't be overly concerned provided you know what you're doing.
If it suited my circumstances I would do it without hesitation.

Electrical fires are normally caused by faulty wiring + dust. The wiring provides a spark, and the dust is the fuel.

For it to really become a fire hazard, your pc would have to be filled with an awesome amount of dust. Enough to create and sustain a fire big enough to set fire to stuff that's outside of the case.

Just do it man.:D

Back
Top Bottom