Gaming PC - Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Associate
Hi guys,

At the end of October/beginning of November I'm gonna buy a gaming pc from OcUK, and I was wondering which operating system to have installed on it for me?

I was only wondering because the system will be used pimarily for gaming and some Photoshop. Having only used Windows Vista a couple of times it looked okay, never used Windows 7 (well its not out yet but haven't used the beta). Whatever version i get would have to be 64bit as the gaming pc will have 6gb RAM. I hear Windows 7 is very fault free, but my only fears are compatability and driver problems, the games i will mainly be playing are Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Assassin's Creed, Comapny Of Heroes, etc. Basically i want an operating system that once i'm on my gaming pc first time wont cause me constant hassle, runs nicely, etc. Other specs of the machine will be i7 920 and 4890.

All advice/suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The Scop

Soldato
Suffering from lot's of BSOD atm with some of my hardware. And it's al modern. I really do hope they fix it asap. I've had to reinstall twice so far. Downloaded my copy from MSDN.

Strange... Is it stable with other windows versions? Memory running fine, temps? I get the odd BSOD on Windows 7... like one or two out of all the time I have been using the beta. I am using the really early version from MS too, not the newer ones that are available.

To the OP - 100 percent W7. 64 bit too. :)

*EDIT*

While W7 may be the same speed / a little slower / a lil faster really the most important thing is it is the new OS. Eventually you will find games most likely using it, and even if they don't I think W7 feels that much nicer than Vista to make me prefer to use it even in day to day tasks.

Soldato
Go for 7. You're unlikely to have any problems with drivers - the driver model hasn't really changed between Vista and 7, so in most cases drivers for Vista will work with 7. This means you won't have the problems that people initially had with Vista, since there are lots of drivers out there. (Unless you have any really old hardware, which you probably don't if you're building a new system!)

Associate
+1 for Windows 7, running the x64 version myself and gaming on it has been fine (But then again my experience with Vista wasnt troublesome either)
But if you can get windows 7, why not.

Soldato
Another vote for Win 7 . It's gonna be the OS which will have the most support. Vista will eventually be phased out (Just like ME :D)

So will Win7 its only a matter of time ;) (Win8,Win9 etc.. are coming)

Gaming wise DX11 in Win7 is nice to have for future gaming.

Soldato
True, but it seems Vista just came and went.

I still use Vista on my laptop(solid as usual which won't be upgraded to Win7) I also have Linux and Win7 on my other PCs so you could say I'll use them all for a long time (except XP which has now been replaced by Vista/Win7).

Back
Top Bottom