Garages on your policy

Soldato
Just thought I'd make a post, someone at work mentioned this, and I hadn't heard of it before:

He has his bike listed as being kept in a garage, but was told recently when renewing, that if the bike gets stolen whilst it's parked outside of the garage (say, on his drive way) he wouldn't be covered.

On questioning the sales person, he had an 'extra' added to his policy that if the bike were to be stolen whilst not parked in the garage, between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00 he's be covered but the excess would for £500 rather than his usual £250.

Is this a common thing, it's the first I've heard from it, and as my renewal is drawing closer, it would be interesting to know if there are any other things to keep a look out for and ensure I have correctly explained etc...

Edit: just to clarify, sometimes he works in his garage meaning he can't get the bike back in - I don't think they meant having the bike just parked up whilst nipping back into the house before a ride.... I hope :D

Soldato
I'm fairly sure mine isn't covered for theft if it's left within something like half a mile of the garage between 23:00 and 06:00 or something like that, thought it was a fairly standard bit with 'garaged' policies?

Caporegime
makes sense really,if you have a garage and you leave your bike outside parked up on the drive overnight and it gets nicked then that's your own fault

aslong as its in the garage locked up overnight between 22:00-6:00 then your fine

Associate
If you want to leave your bike parked outside your residence then you get insurance based on that lowest point of security, you can't expect the insurance companies to have 20 different rules on where the bike can be parked, it would end up being hard to prove on either side.

I always park mine in my garage over night, if I couldn't get it in I would change my policy to ungaraged and pay the premium on it.

Back
Top Bottom