Gary Glitter at it again ....... 2023 update - he’s been released.....and locked up again.

Caporegime
in a few, rare cases maybe....

generally speaking it is a personality disorder and therefore untreatable. I'd say it's extremely risky to count on pedophiles not acting on their urges.

I'd rather they be locked away for good.

So you classify it as a disability and then suggest they be locked away, with no chance of getting out? Nice...

You have a point though, like all sexual preferences (hetrosexuality, homosexuality and all the other strands) there is no way to "treat" somebody. People have been trying for decades to treat other "bad" preferences for decades and it never worked. Luckily we are more enlightened now.

Soldato
But how can there be any evidence of these crimes 40 years after the event? I don't understand how a guilty verdict can be returned.

Im with you on this one, no dna, cctv or eyewitness statement could be valid after such a long period of time.

taking the possible youngest being 10 in 85 she will be in their 40s now. Im only 30 and cant remember clearly what was going on when I was 10, yes I know somethings you never forget, but realistically there's no hard evidence just one man vs the people so to speak.

I know the guys got history and tbh if guilty then let him rot but and i mean this for all cases of all natures, theres got to be a cut off somewhere hasnt there? A point where being able to make a substantial defence or case against or for a person cant be possible?

Small potatoes in comparison but how many of us would use the law to full advantage to get out of a speeding ticket not issued in 14 days? Just 2 weeks and it can get thrown out of court, yet its fair to prosecute a guy after 40 years a period of time 1300 times greater?

Yes it could be argued what hes done is greater than 1300 times worse than 35 in a 30 but the law is the law right? Maybe not.

Associate
So you classify it as a disability and then suggest they be locked away, with no chance of getting out? Nice...

You have a point though, like all sexual preferences (hetrosexuality, homosexuality and all the other strands) there is no way to "treat" somebody. People have been trying for decades to treat other "bad" preferences for decades and it never worked. Luckily we are more enlightened now.

Pathetic attempt at smear in your first sentence, 2/10. ;)

Personality disorders aren't disabilities, psychopaths and paedos certainly aren't disabled.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/personality-disorder/Pages/Definition.aspx

Caporegime
Pathetic attempt at smear in your first sentence, 2/10. ;)

Personality disorders aren't disabilities, psychopaths and paedos certainly aren't disabled.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/personality-disorder/Pages/Definition.aspx
Fine, but from that link it's doesn't appear to fit into the personality disorder system anyway. A sexual orientation isn't a personality disorder, and being attracted to kids is no more a personality disorder than being gay (or straight for that matter).

There's still the question of locking someone up for something get almost certainly don't have any control over. To clarify that last point I'm talking about the sexual orientation rather than any actions they have taken based on that orientation.

By all means lock someone up if they abuse a child but having that orientation is not a reason to lock someone up, in fact there should be more help for people like that so they can come forward and be "treated"/helped before they to any point they may offend.

Anyway, the latter is obviously out of the scope of this thread as Glitter obviously followed through on those urges multiple times, although I too share doubts about the evidence behind all these old offences going through the courts recently. At least Glitter has form, with his use of child prostitutes in SE Asia...

Edit: Besides, being a psychopath doesn't mean someone should be locked up either... As long as they haven't broken the law.

Last edited:
Associate

cool, now I'm with you... obviously I was talking about locking up once the horse has bolted, so after a crime has been committed.

Indeed there is a psychiatric ward in Hamburg that actual offers people with paedophilic desires counselling and support. AFAIK it's unique and all they apparently do is teach them not to act on their 'urges'. Healing is not on the cards, and that should always be kept in mind.

I agree btw re psychopaths, they don't all become murderers etc. and therefore shouldn't automatically be locked up. Again what I meant was that once then urge to kill has been acted out the sentence should be Life forth since they also can't be cured.

Caporegime
Seems reasonable. :)

There are too many people on these forums who's first instinct seems to be to lock someone up and throw away the key, just in case the person did something in the future. Not specifically related to paedophiles, just this kind of emotive thing in general.

Soldato
I wonder if the Saville scandal has meant that he has finally been jailed? He seemed to be forever getting away with it since he took his PC to pcworld this was 15 years ago. Why has it taken so long when everyone knew what he was doing no forgetting what he was up to in Thailand?

Can't imagine he'll have a pleasant time inside, then agian if he's banged up with others they'll probably share some good stories.

Back
Top Bottom