Gas Central Heating Question

Soldato
We've just had a new boiler installed with a digital timing clock (previous one was a crappy clock where you had to move levers to set the timings!). The guy who installed it said it was cheaper and more economical to have the water set to always on rather than have it at set timings (eg 0600 - 0700 & 1700 - 2100). So, is he right? I believe that the water heats up to a certain temp and then the boiler switches off. Once the water goes below this temp the boiler comes back on. As we are both at work all day it seems a waste to have it set to always on.

Does anyone else have their timings set to always on?

Soldato
I had my boiler on all the time when i moved in and it cost me a fortune.

I then set it up to come on between certain hours and my bill went down.

Caporegime
zom247 said:
We've just had a new boiler installed with a digital timing clock (previous one was a crappy clock where you had to move levers to set the timings!). The guy who installed it said it was cheaper and more economical to have the water set to always on rather than have it at set timings (eg 0600 - 0700 & 1700 - 2100). So, is he right? I believe that the water heats up to a certain temp and then the boiler switches off. Once the water goes below this temp the boiler comes back on. As we are both at work all day it seems a waste to have it set to always on.

Does anyone else have their timings set to always on?

It depends on your boiler and It depends on your tank. It is cheaper on a condensor to leave it on 24 hours. All it does is come on when the tank temp falls say 5 degrees and run to bring it back up. Where as when you get home the temp may have dropped 10 degrees and it runs for longer. There isnt a lot in it, but its supposed to be the case.

The same with my central heating in the winter, I set it to between 20-22 and never turn it off, even when i'm at work all day.

Soldato
Cant be a combi really as they dont heat the water and store it, they heat on demand as you turn the hot tap on. If it is a combi then the water is always on as turning it off is like turning the whole unit off which you might only do if you go on holiday. Seems mad, if you have it come on at certain times and the want to wash some dishes in hot water outside of these times what do you do?

Associate
depending on what boiler you have and what type of thermostat you have on it, if you have a boiler that only has low, high or off on it then no it wont be,

but if you have one that has more settings like 0-5 then yes it can be cheaper but mainly in the winter.

the boiler stst is the main control that governs the overall temperture of the water and the heating, also it can depend on where on the cylinder the thermostat is placed.

The age of the boiler does also play a big part in the picture if it is regulary serviced and the gas rates are set correctly to make it more efficent.

also certain makes of combi boilers do have a hot water storage facility in them so that dont have to wait for a few mins for the hot water to come through.

Permabanned
zom247 said:
The guy who installed it said it was cheaper and more economical to have the water set to always on rather than have it at set timings (eg 0600 - 0700 & 1700 - 2100). So, is he right?

I'd turn it off when I was at work. Makes perfect sense to me. If you're out for nine hours what's the point in having heated water with no-one to use it? I'd set it to turn back on 1/2 hour before work finishing time. Electricity isn't cheap!

My mums heater was on 24/7 before I installed a small digi timer. Now she sets it like how I described and the savings on electricity are considerable :)

[edit] Just noticed the 'Gas' in your title. Ignore the most part of what I have said!

Soldato
Arent boilers without a storage tanks refered to as demand boilers, whether they can do central heating or not, and that all boilers that do hot water and central heating combi boilers?
Anyway, if its got a timer for hot water then I would assume that you have a hot water tank somewhere, in which case setting the system to continuous is not the most efficient way to run it as it will just keep the hot water hot all day while you arent there to use it. Either way a decent hot water tank with good insulation would serve a similar purpose more efficiently.

Man of Honour
I take it this is referring to the preheat function?

Basically, if you have the preheat on all the time you will have instant hot water. Have it off and the boiler needs to run full throttle to heat the internal circuit before you get hot water. It'll only take about 10 seconds, but I don't know how much gas the preheater uses.

Personally I'd turn it off unless your an impatient git.

Burnsy

Associate
burnsy2023 said:
I take it this is referring to the preheat function?

Basically, if you have the preheat on all the time you will have instant hot water. Have it off and the boiler needs to run full throttle to heat the internal circuit before you get hot water. It'll only take about 10 seconds, but I don't know how much gas the preheater uses.

Personally I'd turn it off unless your an impatient git.

Burnsy

I'd say this is what the OP is referring to. The boiler has a tank with around a 1 litre capacity and you have the option of heating that 1 litre constantly or not.

I personnally don't and find you have to wait around 30 seconds for hot water to come through.

If you were at home all day everyday then having the water on constantly would probably be a benefit for you.

Back
Top Bottom