gas/electricity bill?

Soldato
hey

I'm really confused right now.. in our home we are using key/card for gas when ever it runs out.. a few days ago we received a bill from Scottish Power (our supplier) for 345 quid ? now i know we never asked for bills and we been toping up our gas and electricity meters all the time.. so i don't understand where the amount come from? we have called them up but no answer for 2 days.. called 3 times.. and today we received another letter saying that they will take court action against us :( any advice on what to do ? we have all the receipts from toping up for both electricity and gas.

Caporegime
A few days ago? And they are taking you to court?

Something there doesn't quiet add up.

I don't know how these top up things work, but have you spoken to Scottish Power and explained you are on this system?

Soldato
OP
the first bill we received was around 10 days ago after which we called up.. today we got another one informing us about our DEBT? and taking court action again us.. we are unable to contact them.. as i've said called 3 times after 20 minutes in line it just hangs up and disconnects... i will go and check the other letter we received from them and see if all the account numbers add up..

Associate
Were the meters already in place when you moved in to the property? If so, did you definitely call to register yourselves as the new residents so you don't get saddled with any previous debts on the meters?

I've just moved in to a place with these things, I'm still working them out myself :p

Soldato
Are you calling the number on the letter or from your suppliers website?

ie , do you know the number you're dialing is legit

Soldato
What does the bill say? Is it a standard bill with your usage on there, or is it an adjustment for previous, perhaps undercharged, periods?

Soldato
OP
from the letter, we will be calling up again.. tonight :) anyway i've just went though all the bills we received. and as i have understood they are charging us 4 times a year (bills every 3 months) but at the same time we have a Pay as you go? meter installed which we top up when it runs out. what my parents did now was ignore all the letters that came thinking it was just advertising.. ? stupid thing to do.. so the gas/electricity supplier was charging us every 3 months and we were toping up our gas meter at the same time.. and yes we are registered as new tenants of the house and changed gas company when we moved in.

What does the bill say? Is it a standard bill with your usage on there, or is it an adjustment for previous, perhaps undercharged, periods?

it's a standard bill with our usage on the other side.

Soldato
Typical utility company incompentence tbh..

You can safely ignore thier threats if you are on a pay as you go meter.

My friend had issues when they fitted a new meter, and they were charging him estimated quarterly bills for both meters (new and old) , in the hundreds of pounds... it took him months to get it straightened out.

They just dont listen, a typical case of 'computer says noooo'

Certainly dont worry, if you are on a pay as you go meter, there is no possible way to get into debt... its an admin error, an all to common admin error.

Associate
Typical utility company incompentence tbh..

You can safely ignore thier threats if you are on a pay as you go meter.

My friend had issues when they fitted a new meter, and they were charging him estimated quarterly bills for both meters (new and old) , in the hundreds of pounds... it took him months to get it straightened out.

They just dont listen, a typical case of 'computer says noooo'

Certainly dont worry, if you are on a pay as you go meter, there is no possible way to get into debt... its an admin error, an all to common admin error.

dont lisin to this...

make sure your card your atually using is a scottish power one, so many people ring up thinking that if its a pay as you go meter it doesnt matter but it does, make sure you have at least one reciept from when you've toped up.

also on your bill it'll have the meter serial number, make sure this is correct to the one on your meter.

if its estimated, check the accurate read on your gas.

if its a brown tanned type meter, it'll have a seperate box with a dial on you'll need the white numbers, ignore the red.

if its white, press the a button on ya meter till you get to meter index and write it down.

sounds like your payments may have went to another company with a bill that high, if its the case we'd send a mdp form to said company to claim these back, but with this you'd need the reciept.

the court action letter would be from a debt team with in scot power, this can be put on hold when you get through so dont worry about any people coming knocking.

IF all pays in your account and msn is correct, give them the info for your acount to be investigated

Hope this helped :)

sounds li

Soldato
No offence mate but you are talking drivel ;)

You cannot get into any debt using the kind of payment/meter the OP describes.

The utility Co. has their wires crossed (excuse the pun).

Associate
sounds like either

a) payments going to another company (using wrong card)
b) account not updating payments correctly
c) credit meter set up on account instead of pre payment (hence quarterly bills being received)

If youve contacted them they should be able to figure out which one it is pretty quickly.

Associate
these companies are nothing but a pain in the backside, i was in a similar situation (although not on a meter) but had 2 accounts for some reason?????
i got threatened with the legal bit too but eventually got it sorted and a measley £20 credit for the inconvenience:mad:
Just keep a record of everything mate-and do not worry too much as it will get sorted i am sure.

Soldato
No offence mate but you are talking drivel ;)

You cannot get into any debt using the kind of payment/meter the OP describes.

The utility Co. has their wires crossed (excuse the pun).

Afraid you are, people can be in debt with pre-pay for a number of reasons - main one being that the meter wasn't updated with increased unit costs !

Hopefully this is not what is what is happening with the OP and it is just a utilities company in being incompetent shocker ;)

Soldato
Ok i can clear up that ive been in this situation,,, and u dont owe them any money,, if its a case of they update your meter with a new unit cost, they need to prove they contacted you to say they need to update the prices on your meter, and u really should get off the keys/cards they are proberly costing u about 50% more money

Soldato
OP
Ok i can clear up that ive been in this situation,,, and u dont owe them any money,, if its a case of they update your meter with a new unit cost, they need to prove they contacted you to say they need to update the prices on your meter, and u really should get off the keys/cards they are proberly costing u about 50% more money

yeah i know it cost more (around 25quid more a year) :) we will be changing to bills.. soon i hope.. :)

Back
Top Bottom