GB news already dead?

Caporegime
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...s-welsh-language-show-paw-patrol-b942969.html

recent figures revealed a dramatic drop in ratings, with only a maximum of 32,000 people tuning in on Thursday for Great British Breakfast

Elsewhere, Welsh language Paw Patrol, Patrol Pawennau, pulled over five times as many viewers, with 161,000 on Thursday.

BBC News at Ten had 3.6million viewers on Thursday with ITV News at Ten at 1.5million.

The latest figures come after Mr Neil, 72, announced that he is taking a break from GB News less than two weeks after he launched the channel.

I sm actually fairly surprised because i thought a Fox news equivalent in the UK would be wildly popular, but i am glad to be proven wrong.

I fear rather the hard right are getting their propaganda from YouTube and Facebook with even less regulation.

I wonder why both the US and Australia have loads of hard right, light on facts entertainment/news channels but this recipe doesn't seem to work in the UK?

Soldato
I'm not surprised. This county is actually very centrist with the majority leaning left or right on different issues. That is already catered for in the main news channels and as much as some on one side claim they are biased one way, the other side claims exactly the same so they can't be far off centre. Fox News when on in the UK had shocking viewing figures, I'm actually reassured a little that we haven't fallen that far into the ridiculous hyper partisan, opinion based "news" that is aimed to inflame people's emotions as a way of keeping them viewing. A tiny bit of hope restored, for now.

Caporegime
But what about those amazing Sunday viewing figures?

Everything about it screams budget and disjointed, slightly surprised though - assumed there were millions enough people in the UK ready for the picking when it comes to culture wars and distraction news.

Caporegime
Political fatigue is the most likely culprit, we've just had half a decade of essentially near constant screaming at each other and it takes it's toll.

Though that seems to be rather normal in the US, so i'm not sure what divides us from them in this regard, perhaps it's just cultural divergence.

Soldato
I sm actually fairly surprised because i thought a Fox news equivalent in the UK would be wildly popular, but i am glad to be proven wrong.

I watched bits and pieces on the first few days - you can see my comments in the other thread - and the problem was a distinct lack of news and that it was generally rubbish.

Soldato
I honestly think for a lot of people 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are still the easiest channels to hit. I've no idea what Ch5 news is like, Ch4 is leaning left and maybe aimed at a more intellectual left market. BBC1 and ITV are just what people know. Also people tend to like their news at set times. 1pm, 6pm and 9-10pm time slots. I'm kind of guessing here as I've not watched a news programme (apart from a few mins of GBN) for ages, I think last Nov US elections was the last time. I rarely watch much live TV anymore. I'd only put on a news channel now if something big is breaking.

Soldato
Everything about it screams budget and disjointed,

ITYM lack of budget. :) Where were the interviews? Where were the reports from foreign correspondents? A right-of-centre equivalent of the BBC is sorely needed.

Ironically, I think they may have gone too far down-market. It's mainly the Left that seems to mistake a lack of education for a lack of intelligence, but GB News may be an example of the Right making the same mistake.

Caporegime
I’m not sure it was (or I guess is, it hasn’t failed yet) hard right tbh… It perhaps seems that way from the outcry and hyperbole before it launched but really it seems to be a news channel that is happy to invite on a few nut jobs, contrarians and libertarian types. For example they seem to be happy to invite some Covidiots on, though that’s hardly an exclusively right wing thing, conspiraloons exist across the political spectrum inc Piers Corbyn. It’s more just various very liberal or libertarian types and anti establishment types who lack any common sense.

There doesn’t seem to be much need for a new news channel, I’m sure BBC, sky news etc.. has various mainstream views covered, this didn’t seem to be offering much more.

Then again, I don’t watch (live) TV and haven’t sat through a GB news broadcast but from what I’ve seen of the coverage, it’s been low budget, had some technical issues and they’ve invited some loons on.

Perhaps they’d have been better off just launching an online news service on YouTube etc.. like a centre-right TYT.

Caporegime
I watched bits and pieces on the first few days - you can see my comments in the other thread - and the problem was a distinct lack of news and that it was generally rubbish.

That doesn't seem to be a problem for Fox

Caporegime
I honestly think for a lot of people 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are still the easiest channels to hit. I've no idea what Ch5 news is like, Ch4 is leaning left and maybe aimed at a more intellectual left market. BBC1 and ITV are just what people know. Also people tend to like their news at set times. 1pm, 6pm and 9-10pm time slots. I'm kind of guessing here as I've not watched a news programme (apart from a few mins of GBN) for ages, I think last Nov US elections was the last time. I rarely watch much live TV anymore. I'd only put on a news channel now if something big is breaking.

The ssme for me, I don't like broadcast News, preferring to skip uninteresting stories or dive deeper into pertinent topics and getting more info from multiple news sources

Soldato
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...s-welsh-language-show-paw-patrol-b942969.html

I fear rather the hard right are getting their propaganda from YouTube and Facebook with even less regulation.

I wonder why both the US and Australia have loads of hard right, light on facts entertainment/news channels but this recipe doesn't seem to work in the UK?

It really must have been bad for people to defect en masse from GB New to watching Patrol Pawennau.

Soldato
That doesn't seem to be a problem for Fox

The US is so partisan and Roger Ailes saw an opening and exploited it. The daytime news isn't actually that bad on Fox News. Its the evening opinion shows and breakfast show that laughable in its partisanship and lack of actual facts. I'm pleased GBN is failing in its present format, the last thing this country needs is a Fox clone, it will just further divide us.

Capodecina
Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour

It was never intended to be a news channel, any more than Fox in the US is a news channel. It's a right-wing opinion channel. But the law in the UK is far stricter over bias in news, so the Fox US model doesn't work.

Soldato
Forgot all about it lol. But I don't really watch much news anymore anyway.

Mainstream news is more like a drama than news. All you get is bad news and X politician said this and that (cropped and taken out of context usually), etc.

Associate
I don't understand the branding. Fox news is pretty slick in its delivery but I find names like gb news and great British breakfast nauseating.