GB news already dead?

Soldato
Welp. Andrew Neil (*in my opinion*) is now getting pretty desperate to distance his legacy from this mess:

I suspect he'll end up at talkTV, if only because crawling back to el Beeb might be a step too far for his ego.

He's not Woke enough for the beeb they won't touch him with a bargepole. Which is why he got cut adrift in the first place passed over for other jobs he should have walked into like chair of QT. He's not even a Guardian reader for chrissake! Utterly beyond the pale.

Commissario
He's not Woke enough for the beeb they won't touch him with a bargepole. Which is why he got cut adrift in the first place passed over for other jobs he should have walked into like chair of QT. He's not even a Guardian reader for chrissake! Utterly beyond the pale.

He had one of the cushiest, best paid (for the hours involved) and lowest commitment jobs in the BBC news/current affairs department, and had massive amounts of leeway compared to most due to his position and seniority.

He left because he wanted to not abide by the BBC's impartiality rules, and because he was offered a huge payout at what he was expecting to be probably the last major onscreen job of his career, where he would be able to set the rules and feel of the program and to not be held to the BBC's impartiality rules.

He gambled on GB news being what he wanted, and found out that the people putting up the money wanted to take it far further and to a much lower quality than he was expecting, so that rather it being the shining end to his career, it was a laughing stock that made a mockery of what his career and showed exactly how bad it can become when you try leaning as far to one side of the political spectrum as you can under UK broadcasting laws, whilst not wanting to spend any money on the actual news gathering side of it.
At the BBC he had access to the resources of one of the best news gathering organisations in the world, and the ability to choose how he used them, at GB news it appears he was the respectable face of a bunch of clowns with an agenda and no actual resources given to news gathering (or technical staff, presentation staff, researchers, archivists, editors or any of the 101 different people that work behind the scenes to make someone like Neil look good in front of the camera).

In short if you think he was pushed out of the BBC, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Caporegime

To call the BBC woke when it's been under the tutelage of the Tories for years seems a tad onerous to me, but then again the Tories like a good chuckle at the public's expense so I suppose it would make sense that it validifies their culture war for them.

I'd hazard the BBC simply wanted a woman to host QT which would immediately disqualify him from the selection process, it really doesn't have to be anything more than that.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
What makes you think its desperate? There's nothing desperate about it.

You don't think giving multiple interviews, each one increasingly vitriolic about the state of GBNews and increasingly trying to distance himself from what it turned out to be instead of what he thought it was going to be, smacks of desperation?

What would someone not desperate say when they regret it?

How about "I screwed up, I saw a sackful of cash and briefly chucked all of my journalistic principles in the bin"?

Soldato
You don't think giving multiple interviews, each one increasingly vitriolic about the state of GBNews and increasingly trying to distance himself from what it turned out to be instead of what he thought it was going to be, smacks of desperation?

How about "I screwed up, I saw a sackful of cash and briefly chucked all of my journalistic principles in the bin"?
I disagree and don't see it. Can you give the examples of the desperate quotes?

Soldato
Care to provide evidence?

I know the media bias sites trigger some people, but it's a useful guide.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/guido-fawkes/

Essentially, Guido Fawkes is adding a few opinionated soundbites to their blog posts with the hope of increasing discussion to encourage clicking (Clickbait) or sharing on social media. Generally all stories favor the right with many having a nationalist tone and are poorly sourced. Further, this source downplays climate change by publishing articles that show Polar Bears are thriving and demonstrating that green energy is too costly.

Overall, we rate Guido Fawkes Right Biased due to word choices that favor the Right and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing.

So not generally out and out lies but definitely on the click bait end of the spectrum.

Comparing that against the Express, order order are pretty equivalent, which tbh is a pretty low bar.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-express/

Overall, we rate the Daily Express Right Biased based on editorial content and Mixed for factual reporting due to publishing conspiracies & pseudoscience, and a few failed fact checks.

Soldato
The big problem with the BBC News at 6 figure is that it doesn't take into account that millions of viewers who watch the programme on BBC One. Just look at BARB figures top performing programmes and you will see some editions of the News at 6 near the top. Guido conveniently misses that out. When you take that into account, GB News has very low figures in comparison when comparing flagship programmes, assuming Farage is the flagship programme for GB News.

Caporegime
The big problem with the BBC News at 6 figure is that it doesn't take into account that millions of viewers who watch the programme on BBC One. Just look at BARB figures top performing programmes and you will see some editions of the News at 6 near the top. Guido conveniently misses that out. When you take that into account, GB News has very low figures in comparison when comparing flagship programmes, assuming Farage is the flagship programme for GB News.

Yeah they are only comparing themselves to the 24 hour news channels forgetting they arent actually a news channel themselves. They are no where near the main news programs on bbc, itv, ch4 and sky.

Soldato
I know the media bias sites trigger some people, but it's a useful guide.

The style and bias of Fawkes are well-attested; I'm not concerned about them - like the Guardian, the Telegraph, and so on, I know it and can cope with them. Factual accuracy is the issue and the page to which you link downplays factual accuracy because Fawkes publishes facts which go against orthodoxy:

Further, this source downplays climate change by publishing articles that show Polar Bears are thriving and demonstrating that green energy is too costly.

thereby displaying its own bias.

So, do you have any examples of consistent deliberate lying by Fawkes?

Soldato
The style and bias of Fawkes are well-attested; I'm not concerned about them

Nor was I, it was the factual side of things

- like the Guardian, the Telegraph, and so on, I know it and can cope with them. Factual accuracy is the issue and the page to which you link downplays factual accuracy because Fawkes publishes facts which go against orthodoxy:

Not really, he posts a lot of spin and click bait

So, do you have any examples of consistent deliberate lying by Fawkes?

The question was that order order is about as reliable as the Express, that is all I was showing. Which is why they both get a Mixed rating, he wasn't accused of just lying all the time. He posts facts and truthful stories, he also posts half truths to spin a story a certain way, just like the Express and plenty of other publications, left or right.

A bit like the bbc story you posted which started this conversation. Sure, if you cherry pick certain data points you can present something in a certain way, which doesn't stand up when you look at the whole picture. Which is the half truth spin he employs a lot, just like the comparable Express.

You usually find the more extreme bias a publication has in it's politics (either left or right) the less non-opinionated factual posting and more spin they do.

Caporegime
BBC news
TV news is dead or will be in the next 2-3 decades when all the old people die

Check BBC news figures on youtube, they very rarely even make the youtube news section.

GB news though .... their viewing stats are dire, I don't think any body watches it

Caporegime
BBC news

TV news is dead or will be in the next 2-3 decades when all the old people die

Check BBC news figures on youtube, they very rarely even make the youtube news section.

GB news though .... their viewing stats are dire, I don't think any body watches it

Not quite sure of your point? Just had a look and barely any news makes 20k views on youtube and thats mainly sky, sun and DM. When there are still millions watching the BBC main news or C4 news or ITV news.

To me the "news" section on Youtube is almost dead and barely breathing. If millions where watching news on youtube then you may have had a point.