Gboard got worse?

Associate
Is it me or has gboard gotten worse?

I seem to be having a do a lot of corrections

I'm sure my reasons for thinking it's gotten worse are different than yours but yes, it has got worse.

It's been increasingly worstening bloatware which is why i sideload an older build of it, disable updates and untick every single thing in the App Settings. The only reason i keep using it is i like it's appearance.

Soldato
OP
Example, when I text something like "I'd love to go on holiday next month" it changes the word love to lobben (what's lobben mean, is that even a word)

Associate
Definitely agree. I've swapped back to swiftkey which is better than I remember it and I do now prefer it to gboard, especially as its got some better looking stock skins.

Gboards predictions are worse, it lags at times and the swyping works when it feels like it.

Caporegime
I am gutted Swype has stopped support, moved to Gboard, hated it, and now use Swiftkey, but I really miss the single-backspace to delete entire predicted word. The hold to delete entire word in Swiftkey slows me down and messes up my flow.

Associate
I've been a Swiftkey user for as far back as I remember. I don't enjoy using it for its bloaty/laggyness but everytime I try GBoard, it's prediction is just awful by comparison.

I used to dislike swiftkey for that reason but I do find now that it’s not laggy any more. Maybe its my phone being fairly modern and high end, but then I’ve always had flagships. I think it has improved, personally.

I am gutted Swype has stopped support, moved to Gboard, hated it, and now use Swiftkey, but I really miss the single-backspace to delete entire predicted word. The hold to delete entire word in Swiftkey slows me down and messes up my flow.

Yes that is kinda annoying, but I think I will get used to it. Also the lack of search for emojis is a little annoying. Though to be honest swiping seems like a very flawed method to me, most swipe keyboards seem to regularly get it wrong.

Actually, I have to say, I dont know about anyone else, but one of the most irritating things of any keyboard is the space bar being too small. The. Amount. Of. Times. I. End. Up. With. Sentences. Like. This. Drives. Me. Mad.

Soldato
I used to dislike swiftkey for that reason but I do find now that it’s not laggy any more. Maybe its my phone being fairly modern and high end, but then I’ve always had flagships. I think it has improved, personally.
Its still a bit janky on my 6P in the animations department and that's still quite a powerful phone. On my main S8+ it has the odd animation glitch here and there but for the most part it is OK. I always notice it upon pulling the keyboard up.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've not been able to use anything but GBoard, however this thread prompt me to go into settings and tweak a few things.

I noticed there's some learning there that gathers data from other apps and it also submits data collection back to Google. Turned both of those off. Also noticed you can reset your learnt words which may help some peoples issues with silly corrections.

I also noticed some things I didn't know you could do, like what it does with capital letters after punctuation, that you can scroll through words by sliding the spacebar (which can be turned off), turn off the voice input key, make numbers row permanent, turn off the swiftkey swipe typing thing (Glide Typing), turn off the contact and search suggestions, turn off auto-correction etc.

This has made it much nicer for me on my 6P.

Associate
I've not been able to use anything but GBoard, however this thread prompt me to go into settings and tweak a few things.

I noticed there's some learning there that gathers data from other apps and it also submits data collection back to Google. Turned both of those off. Also noticed you can reset your learnt words which may help some peoples issues with silly corrections.

I also noticed some things I didn't know you could do, like what it does with capital letters after punctuation, that you can scroll through words by sliding the spacebar (which can be turned off), turn off the voice input key, make numbers row permanent, turn off the swiftkey swipe typing thing (Glide Typing), turn off the contact and search suggestions, turn off auto-correction etc.

This has made it much nicer for me on my 6P.

I've done most of these things but sadly it wasn't enough.

That said I don't really like ANY virtual keyboard very much, to me they all seem varying degrees of rubbish /mediocre.

Associate
Well my swiftkey experiment has ended.

It was doing some real weird stuff in the facebook app - missing out characters at the start of every word. It’s probably partly the facebook app in fairness but as much as I hate to admit it I spend a fair bit of time in there.

Also as said the long press to delete the chosen word was starting to grate, and the lack of search tool for the emojis was annoying (even though it was possible to type SOME emojis and have autocorrect suggest it, that was not possible for all).

I was also finding that it was difficult to hit the shift button and other keys that were on the edge.

I’m not saying it was worse than gboard. As I said in my post above, I really don’t get on with ANY virtual keyboards. I haven’t found one yet that I really like, and in the end, I guess gboard foibles irritate me that little bit less than the others (or I’m just used to it).

Soldato
Well my swiftkey experiment has ended.

It was doing some real weird stuff in the facebook app - missing out characters at the start of every word. It’s probably partly the facebook app in fairness but as much as I hate to admit it I spend a fair bit of time in there.
This wasn't on IOS was it by any chance? My wife used Swiftkey on her ipad a while back and it was doing similar things to what you mentioned. I just put it down to the OS being a pain and removed it. It works fine with FB on her OP3 phone though.

Associate
This wasn't on IOS was it by any chance? My wife used Swiftkey on her ipad a while back and it was doing similar things to what you mentioned. I just put it down to the OS being a pain and removed it. It works fine with FB on her OP3 phone though.

Nope a Pixel 2 XL! It was a strange bug, every word I was typing the first character would delete itself as i was typing. It was either FB or the Swiftkey, and a restart probably would have sorted, albeit temporarily but it never happened on gboard.

Soldato
Yep gboard has gone and swiftkey has been installed.
Some of the crap Gboard has been sticking in sentences has caught me out a few times over the last week or so to the point where asked my boss to do something rude for me!

Soldato
Nope a Pixel 2 XL! It was a strange bug, every word I was typing the first character would delete itself as i was typing. It was either FB or the Swiftkey, and a restart probably would have sorted, albeit temporarily but it never happened on gboard.
Yes! Although that's what she was experiencing on IOS and Facebook. It was like a weird overwrite mode was on, or the cursor was resetting back to start after a letter was typed. I couldn't work out wtf was going on.

Back
Top Bottom